Shipping

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TikiWine

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to ship wine? I have family out of state and would like to give them a bottle. I probably won't see them until Christmas. I thought it would be easier to just ship it.

One thing you should know is that is illegal to ship wine using the post office (USPS).

I am not sure the following is 100% accurate, but here is my understanding: It is not illegal to ship with UPS or FedEx, but it is against their policies if you are not a licensed distributor. (And it could be against state laws.) What many of us do is to label the wine as "Steak Marinade," as this is an accurate description. Personally, on the rare occasions I have done so, I just put it in an unlabeled box, take it to UPS, and don't reveal the contents.

Now this is really stupid but is what it is. With UPS if you create a label and attach it to the package you just drop it off no questions asked. But if you create the label at UPS you have to tell them the contents. Fortunately I have a UPS account so I create my own labels. Though I don't know if it's the law or policy about shipping wine.

On the UP side... This is why I started making my own wine. I could find the wine I was looking for.... but they couldn't ship it to me because of a state or federal restriction. So.... I decided to do it myself.

Back