Shipping wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBP

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be surprised if this hasn't been discussed before, but it appears my search terms are lacking - any advice on shipping wine across the country? Packaging? Risks? Our kids may have moved far away, but they are still hoping for a few bottles from the "family cellar" (which is a gross overstatement of my winemaking hobby). One just bought a new house with a built-in wine refrigerator - not sure how many bottles he is hoping for. 🤣

Assuming you are in the USA, consumer-to-consumer shipping of wine is not easy. USPS, UPS, and FedEx all appears to prohibit consumer-to-consumer shipping, but you can investigate further. The following site has some information, including how to not get caught shipping wine.

https://www.wineproclub.com/can-you-ship-wine-through-usps/
One thing to consider is if it's legal to ship between your state and your kids' state -- getting caught could have legal ramifications.

It's been discussed for years and years in many threads. Unless you are a licensed bonded winery you are not legally allowed to ship wine via FedEx or UPS. So what is an amateur winemaker who wants to enter an out of state wine competition supposed to do?

It may not be legal but quite a few winemakers have shipped "steak marinade" in proper wine shippers in order to enter wine competitions or send a few bottles to family members far away. If you want to send a case your best bet would be to drive it out to them or fly it out as baggage if you travel by air next time.

I recently successfully shipped 6 bottles to Nevada, with each bottle carefully covered in bubble wrap in a FWK Styrofoam box. I used UPS and when I went to the store to mail it, no one asked what was in the box.

This is another case of laws meant to protect against one thing, affecting other, non-related things. We don't sell the wine; it is a gift. There are no taxes to collect or to avoid.

@JBP, I have decided never to do it again. The cost to send 6 bottles was about $70. I recommend waiting until the giftees visit with a car and give them the wine at that time.

Thanks, all. I was prepared to pay some $$ to ship a small batch as a housewarming gift. New plan in place - the new homeowners will get a lovely set of Italian wineglasses for housewarming (perhaps ones that I look forward to drinking out of at Thanksgiving!). And the wine will travel at a later date (some east, some south) along highway systems in slightly larger quantities.

I was looking for ideas such as Rocky’s for packing (great use for FWK styrofoam coolers!), and instead received - as is common on this forum - a wealth of additional and timely learning.

So very grateful for this community.

Juli

* for case quantity a foam case that separates each bottle is best, I have a few of these recycled from Craig’s list, folks get them when a commercial entity ships commercial product. The vinters club will ship collected club wine to contests like Winemaker Magazine or Kansas City. We have had some bad experiences using a store case with cardboard dividers.
* single bottle or two bottle shipments get wrapped in bubble wrap then sealed in a water tight plastic bag and then boxed, ,,, next is some padding as 1/4 foam and finally another box or tyvec envelope. (at work I ran the sample lab and occasionally shipped something to myself to check damage) I dont like bottles that have lots of ullage and go glug, I like synthetic (any position) corks, I look at the weather and assume in winter this part of the country might freeze.
* as an individual the shippers ask what it is, you don’t want to say wine! At work I could ship anything and the suppliers would ship to me lab quantities of hazardous chemicals via UPS. A bigger shipment as a case might come via motor freight.
* final thought, Do you have a local winery that has the connections to ship? (Part of the issue is drinking alcohol is a state regulated item) Do you know the person at work who runs shipping?

In full disclosure: I am not a lawyer nor do I pretend to be (YMMV). That being said, I've shipped carefully packed wine via UPS as instructed by an organization who evaluates wine with the following label attached:
ATTENTION!
Food Samples for Evaluation
No Commercial Value – Not Perishable
Conforms to IRS and FDA Restrictions
Not Taxable per 27CFR24.75
HANDLE AS GLASS
The wine was then legally 'evaluated' by the receiving party. When UPS asks if the package contains alcohol, the reply should simply be, "The contents are listed on the label - Food Samples for Evaluation".

Last edited:
Label as vinegar, or marinade and it's fine. The shippers do not care. The distributors have a political choke on the laws regarding wine, but you as a person can do what you want. When I send wine back east to my family, I label as "steak marinade" if asked. Once I said it was olive oil. But honestly, it's rarely asked. The shippers do not care.

One of our really cool local wine shops has routinely shipped back east numerous wines for me. It's almost a game. But I've not once had a problem.

Latest posts

Back