Shipping Kits (Label Peelers)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
Just curious what folks have been seeing. A few weeks ago, I bought a Fiero kit - 14L with skins. Shipping was about 16 bucks to northern Virginia. I thought that was a great deal, and attributed it to the smaller kit size. Today, I added a Yakima Valley Pinot Gris kit to my cart and shipping was $28. No skins on this kit, so it should be lighter. Did I get lucky with an error on that last kit, or what. What have others been seeing of late for kit shipping? Other than this last one, I haven't bought a kit in a few years, so I don't have much recent experience to go on.

$31.08 to ship a Private Reserve Old Vines Zinfandel to Southeast PA. It's definitely been going up the last couple of years for me.

Back in January I ordered an 18L kit - shipping was $23.83; In October I ordered an 8L kit - shipping was $18.07. Just recently I ordered 2 Classics and 1 Reserve plus 100 Nomacorcs - shipping was $55.44. That averages out to $18.48 per kit from Labelpeelers to southern NH. Going way back to 2015, I paid $21.83 shipping for a 16L kit. So the shipping charges from 2015 through January 2020 were pretty much the same. The 8 liter kit is only about 45% of the volume of an 18 liter kit, yet shipping was only about 25% less. So yeah, there's an increase there since last January. These are Fedex, by the way.

Back in January I ordered an 18L kit - shipping was $23.83; In October I ordered an 8L kit - shipping was $18.07. Just recently I ordered 2 Classics and 1 Reserve plus 100 Nomacorcs - shipping was $55.44. That averages out to $18.48 per kit from Labelpeelers to southern NH. Going way back to 2015, I paid $21.83 shipping for a 16L kit. So the shipping charges from 2015 through January 2020 were pretty much the same. The 8 liter kit is only about 45% of the volume of an 18 liter kit, yet shipping was only about 25% less. So yeah, there's an increase there since last January. These are Fedex, by the way.

I don't think there is any reason to suspect that shipping charges should be directly proportional to volume or weight.

@Boatboy24 I bought some kits from Label Peelers recently and didn't really worry about the shipping cost because the kits were on a great sale (and still are). The kit you mentioned is $117 + shipping there.

Last edited:
Well, I did just finally order that Pinot Gris kit and the shipping was about the same. But I've got to give LP props - I placed my order at 5:23 EST and got the "your order has been shipped" notification at 6:04.

Well, I did just finally order that Pinot Gris kit and the shipping was about the same. But I've got to give LP props - I placed my order at 5:23 EST and got the "your order has been shipped" notification at 6:04.
Yep. Theyre fast. And customer service is top notch!

I live in Northern Virginia and and have never had LP shipping over $20 for a kit. On 1/11 I ordered Private Reserve Lodi Ranch 11 Cabernet Sauvignon Wine Kit from Label Peelers. The shipping was $17.20. I was thinking about also ordering some muslin bags at the same time but that added another $5 or so to the shipping. I prefer to buy from Label Peelers over Southern Homebrew as their shipping is normally around $10 less.

I live in Northern Virginia and and have never had LP shipping over $20 for a kit. On 1/11 I ordered Private Reserve Lodi Ranch 11 Cabernet Sauvignon Wine Kit from Label Peelers. The shipping was $17.20. I was thinking about also ordering some muslin bags at the same time but that added another $5 or so to the shipping. I prefer to buy from Label Peelers over Southern Homebrew as their shipping is normally around $10 less.
LP is cheaper, plus you don't end up with packing peanuts everywhere. SHB is still stuck in the 80's with their packaging process.

LP is cheaper, plus you don't end up with packing peanuts everywhere. SHB is still stuck in the 80's with their packaging process.
Haha... I forgot all about those crazy peanuts going everywhere. 😝 Unfortunately SHB often has a better selection of kits.

Unfortunately SHB often has a better selection of kits.
I have ordered from SHB twice for this very reason (plus their price if I'm being honest). Both times after I placed my order I got a message saying my purchase was back ordered. Even on a kit they advertised as 'on sale'. Makes me think they ordered from the maker after I paid for it. I could be wrong. If you're not in a hurry its no big deal. Just makes you go hmm... It also seems like packages from SHB arrive a little worse for wear. Not busted open or anything (so far) but looks like it was handled a little rougher. Just my experience.

I have ordered from SHB twice for this very reason (plus their price if I'm being honest). Both times after I placed my order I got a message saying my purchase was back ordered. Even on a kit they advertised as 'on sale'. Makes me think they ordered from the maker after I paid for it. I could be wrong. If you're not in a hurry its no big deal. Just makes you go hmm... It also seems like packages from SHB arrive a little worse for wear. Not busted open or anything (so far) but looks like it was handled a little rougher. Just my experience.
I did have one order from them in November that went on backorder. Actually I didn't know it was on backorder until i called them 10 days after placing the order, wondering where it was. They told me they were having issues with inventory due to COVID which seemed legit. I wasn't in a rush and received it a week later. No real complaints but I do prefer buying from LP.

I’ve ordered kits from SHB for some time now and noticed the very slow shipping. After several weeks of waiting I called and they said that they were receiving a shipment in a couple of days. Yes, seems like they are taking the order and money and then ordering the kit from the distributor. I like ordering from more wine if they have what I want, shipping is fast.

Another thing about SBH, I liked their prices but thought their shipping prices were high. They recently had a muscat on a “big” sale so I ordered it. Just for fun, I later compared the price I paid plus shipping to the same kit on More Wine pus shipping and found that More Wine was $2.00 less. Also had to wait few weeks before they shipped it.

Ordered a Kit from SHB for a Christmas present last year. Never was told that the item was not in stock but had to be ordered. Did not get to me until we’ll after Christmas

Back