Shippable Australian juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be curious to hear those wines turned out. Also how many lbs of peaches per gallon?

Online I'm seeing 2.5-3 lbs per gallon. Last year I made 6 gallons with 25 lbs of overripe and might have disgarded 15-20% plus the pits. Turned out very nice but was thinking of using some cinnamon and nutmeg this year. Might also make more then 6 gallons because it goes fast.

I'd be curious to hear those wines turned out. Also how many lbs of peaches per gallon?

As Fred said, the sites online will tell you 2-3 lbs/gallon. But that really depends on the variety of peach and how rip it was. IIRC, I was closer to 5lbs per gallon and I added some Welch's white grape/peach concentrate to bump up the volume a bit.

OK back to Australian buckets. Was thinking today about getting some wholesale fruit this weekend for my summer ferment, when I remembered I hadn't called piwine yet. Now there are 3 buckets of juice on the way, 1 cab, 1 shiraz and 1 grenache. Looks like fruit wine is slipping from my radar this summer.

Now there are 3 buckets of juice on the way, 1 cab, 1 shiraz and 1 grenache. Looks like fruit wine is slipping from my radar this summer.
Curious how the grenache turns out. That may be a nice wine to do next year if I can't find any Chilean juice (ie. if I don't want to travel 4 hours+ round trip) next Spring.

As far as the peach goes, de-stone the peaches (cut in half) bag and freeze for a couple of days. Add to your fermenter with pectic enzyme and let come up to temperature. Pitch yeast, add some Opti-white and punch down like grapes. No need to add water or anything else (though I sometimes add Welches white concentrate - in case I ever run into @JohnT and want to give him his favorite wine).

Curious how the grenache turns out. That may be a nice wine to do next year if I can't find any Chilean juice (ie. if I don't want to travel 4 hours+ round trip) next Spring.

As far as the peach goes, de-stone the peaches (cut in half) bag and freeze for a couple of days. Add to your fermenter with pectic enzyme and let come up to temperature. Pitch yeast, add some Opti-white and punch down like grapes. No need to add water or anything else (though I sometimes add Welches white concentrate - in case I ever run into @JohnT and want to give him his favorite wine).

I like grenache wines. Plan on fermenting these separately and then blending a portion with the cab and shiraz, end up with 3 varietals and a blend.

Do you add sugar to the peaches?

I like grenache wines. Plan on fermenting these separately and then blending a portion with the cab and shiraz, end up with 3 varietals and a blend.

Do you add sugar to the peaches?
Depends on the ripeness. If they are nice and ripe you can hit 10% ABV no problem. I wait a day after adding the enzyme and test some of the juice. If it's too high you can add some water (or reconstitued juice like I did). Just have to worry if you go above 11.5 or 12%. Hard to mask "rocket fuel" taste in peaches. I'd have brought a bottle of it to the get together, but that batch rarely makes it more than a month or two since both Barb and I love it! I try to back sweeten to 1.003 to 1.005. Mangos are a nice addition if you only use a few lbs per gallon and do the white grape concentrate thing (that's the other version I make, usually in the winter with frozen fruit from BJs).

And guess what is going to happen in the fall? Another 50-60 gallons. And that's only about 60+ days away.

From what I remember from the pic of your basement you are going to run out of storage space. You may have to open some wine and get AJ and I to come over and build you some racks and a hoisting system.

Depends on the ripeness. If they are nice and ripe you can hit 10% ABV no problem. I wait a day after adding the enzyme and test some of the juice. If it's too high you can add some water (or reconstitued juice like I did). Just have to worry if you go above 11.5 or 12%. Hard to mask "rocket fuel" taste in peaches. I'd have brought a bottle of it to the get together, but that batch rarely makes it more than a month or two since both Barb and I love it! I try to back sweeten to 1.003 to 1.005. Mangos are a nice addition if you only use a few lbs per gallon and do the white grape concentrate thing (that's the other version I make, usually in the winter with frozen fruit from BJs).

How many lbs per gallons of peaches do you use since you don't add water?

From what I remember from the pic of your basement you are going to run out of storage space. You may have to open some wine and get AJ and I to come over and build you some racks and a hoisting system.

Please come over and build and drink some, but I have a stepson that moved out two months ago, I can always commandeer his old room for additional wine storage.

How many lbs per gallons of peaches do you use since you don't add water?
Depends on how ripe they are. I think my batch had ~ 12 lbs per finished gallon. Just remember, you are going to rack off a lot, and I mean a lot of gross lees. Here's an overview of what I had read before and try to follow. Just search on peaches and @Turock and he'll never steer you wrong.

https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/peach-recipe.38822/#post-429922

@heatherd, sorry for the hijack, again...

Now I'm kicking myself in the butt for not ordering Australian buckets. I need a midsummer ferment. I think I'll reach out tomorrow and see if they have any available.

Transcontinental cab, nice!!

Interesting........ square buckets. Harvested in March.

Will be interested how these turn out. Did they provide any numbers on the juice?
They didn't give any numbers on them - I haven't tested either. It's nice how clean the buckets are.

Are you thinking you'll add any grapes/skins?

I really would like to, but I didn't plan on ordering these back at crush and all my skins ended up in the mulch pile. I meant to freeze some but never got around to it.

How about you?

Latest posts

Back