WineXpert Shelf Life/Replacement of Additives

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckhorn

Reaction score
I recently acquired 2 WinExpert Selection Speciale kits that were packaged in late 2010 (by the kit code). I am going to take a chance and ferment these and hope the juice is still good.

I plan to get new yeast (both kits use 2 pkts of Red Star Premier Cuvee) just to be sure it is good. But I am wondering about the other additives. Can anyone help me know the shelf life of the other additives and what I should replace and what I can go ahead and use.

The first kit (Blackberry Port) contains:
Bentonite (10g), Potassium Metabisulphite (4g), Potassium Sorbate (5.5g), and Chitosan (unknown amt)

The second kit (Okanagan Peach Icewine) contains:
Bentonite (1g), Potassium Metabisulphite (4g), Potassium Sorbate (3g), and Isinglass (unknown amt)

I have all the additives in bulk except for the Isinglass -- am thinking I should be able to use my Chitosan/Kieselsol (ie. SuperKleer) instead of having to purchase the Isinglass

Any thoughts or input?

I have done older kits like yours that i purchase off kijiji when someone is getting out of the hobby. I've used everything supplied with no problems.

However, since you have all the additives in bulk and were going to use new yeast, i would go that route. Using superkleer will not cause any problems either. Good Luck

cheers

I would use new yeasts and your sorbate should be replaced with fresh sorbate. The rest of the things in the kit should be just fine.

Thank you both for your answers. I have something planned for my primary before I start these kits -- but they will be there so enough.

Happy Vint-ing.

Back