Shelf life of dry goods

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ol' boy

carrying on
Reaction score
I went home this weekend and I brought back all the wine making supplies that I thought I would need.

While I was going through the supplies though I found all of the dry goods that we used to make wine maybe three years ago... pectic enzyme, bentonite, acid blend, K-meta, potassium sorbate and grape tannin.

all were stored in a cool 72-50 degree basement and dry, although not all perfectly airtight seals.

I want to know if any of them is salvage-able or if I should just buy new dry goods.

and how should I be storing them when I do?

Ways to test
Pectic = add 1tsp to small amt of apple sauce see if it changes
Betonite should be OK
Acid blend = add1tsp to a cup of water - taste you will know if its good lol
K=meta = add 1tsp to a cup of water and take a big sniff.. LOL U will know if it takes your breath away.
Tannin do as w/ acid blend
You should be fine though. By doing above you will see what each one will do to your wine. All should experience it.

I have a similar question: I just bought an unused kit to make wine (primarily for the equipment) but it came with a wine ingredient kit as well. It's not in the box although it is unopened, so all I know about it is that it came from Vintners' Reserve. The yeast expiration date says best by January 2007, so I'm wondering if any part of this kit is salvageable. It includes bentonite, potassium metabisulfite, potassium sorbate, and isinglass ichtyocolle (apparently the fining agent), the main juice, and a smaller package which I can't identify. Thanks for any help.

What was the kit? Sounds like you also have a f-pac.
The yeast toss it.
The "dry" chemicals should be OK.
But to be saft buy all new. The chemicals are cheap. Why take a chance.

I have no idea what the kit was because I was not given a box. The instructions don't say, and I haven't found any indication on the ingredients itself. All I know is that it is supposed to be a white wine. So would the juice be good?

I would go for it. What do you have to lose. just use fresh yeast. did it come with a f-pac? how large of a kit.

Yes, I guess this smaller bag is an f-pack. I found the kind on the f-pack--it says liebfraumilch. I believe this kit is supposed to make either five or six gallons, but I'm not really sure how to tell.

Rhadryn:

Vintners Reserve is a brand from Winexpert. It would make 6 US gallons (5 Imperial gallons/23 litres). Typically the yeast expires AFTER the kit. Since the yeast expired 2 years ago, I would be very doubtful about the kit, especially a white. Of course, you can choose to make it, but I would expect it to be oxidized.

You could contact the Winexpert help desk to see what they have to say.

Steve

Taste it!
all kidding aside i'm sure its gonna be OK.
BUT taste it .. all winemakers should know what they are injecting in their wine.

Ol'Boy, it will taste very tart kind of like a sour candy. If any of these things are in small amounts then i would toss them though as its just not worth ruining a wine batch.

Those dry goods will be just fine. I have some stuff that old and have no problems with it. If stored properly, they will last a few years.

the bentonite is a small amount, the others are all from .5 to 1 pounds, except the tannin because it is so light but there is a bunch of that too.

Latest posts

Back