Sheets of sediment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jet

Reaction score
This morning, I racked a gallon batch of chardonel and was surprised to see that the sediment was not loose but appeared to be cohesive sheets. This is the final racking, just prior to cold stab. Since it was only a gallon, I didn't bother with fining. The wine seems fine, I have just never seen this before. I'm going to try and attach a pic.

2011-05-21_07-10-03_815.jpg

Looks like wine diamonds to me. (Tartaric acid that has fallen out of solution and turned into a sheet of crystals)

Looks like wine diamonds to me. (Tartaric acid that has fallen out of solution and turned into a sheet of crystals)

I could believe that. When I cold stabilize, the tartaric normally falls out as individual crystals. This wine was also at cellar temperature but tatrtaric precipitation sounds plausible.

It is tartaric crystals. Even in just cool temps. this will fall from the wine and harden below. They look really cool when they are stained from a red wine.

Just siphon all your wine off and dump the crystals down the drain. They are somewhat fragile so they will break up in the utility sink or outside in a garden.

I'm just a little puzzled as to what caused it to precipitate out in the month since the last racking.

C'est la vie! Thanks guys!

I am guess your temperature dropped in the last month or so making them fall. Fortunately they fell now instead of in your bottles. It is still possible more will fall out later if the bottles are refrigerated at a temperature colder then last time they dropped out.

I am guess your temperature dropped in the last month or so making them fall. Fortunately they fell now instead of in your bottles. It is still possible more will fall out later if the bottles are refrigerated at a temperature colder then last time they dropped out.

It's now cold stabilizing at 28°, so hopefully that will precipitate out anything else that is so inclined.

Back