Shattering Carboys?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one glass 5 gal from Mexico, from around 1960, The three I mostly use are glass, 7 gallons, in Styrofoam containers. They have been in constant use since 1991, They had Hydrochloric, or Sulphuric acid in them.

Attachments

• P1100482.JPG
    P1100482.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
  • P1100483.JPG
    P1100483.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 21
  • P1100484.JPG
    P1100484.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 21
I started brewing beer in 1999 using some of my dad's carboys when he used to make wine. They have to be at least 50 years old. I really never gave a thought to the construction of carboys and the possibility of the bottom falling out but I have recently seen some articles and videos about this very topic. The bottom of their carboys simply fall off for no apparent reason. One video I watched was very informative and came to the conclusion that Italian made carboys are the best. Carboys made in Mexico not so good. It has to do with the quality of the glass and the cooling process of the hot glass. Bubbles in the side walls can also be a problem. Over the years I have noticed bubbles on the sides of some of those 50 year old carboys and wondered if they could be a problem. Apparently they could be but like I said I have used them for a very long time. I only have two empty carboys right now and they were both made in Italy. I'll have to inspect the full carboys at my next racking. Was wondering if any of you folks had carboy bottoms fall out or are even aware that this is a problem.
www.packagingoptionsdirect.com
these are the thickest i have found, i have a few Italian carboys, but these premium Italian carboys , are thicker,
Dawg

Confession time. I was transporting 6 full carboys, wrapped in towels in the back seat area of my F-150. Downward sloping sharp turn was enough for two carboys to contact each other and one exploded. Of course it had to be the 6.5 gallon carboy. Opened the front doors and wine poured out. One of the more stupid things I’ve done. I should have strapped all the carboys together. Would have taken two extra minutes.

Confession time. I was transporting 6 full carboys, wrapped in towels in the back seat area of my F-150. Downward sloping sharp turn was enough for two carboys to contact each other and one exploded. Of course it had to be the 6.5 gallon carboy. Opened the front doors and wine poured out. One of the more stupid things I’ve done. I should have strapped all the carboys together. Would have taken two extra minutes.

Was this your recent move?

I just broke a carboy hit the side of the stainless steel sink and it did not hit very hard. Must have been just right spot.
Ron

My sink is fiberglass and even though I always wanted a SS this was my biggest hang-up. It's not the easiest to keep clean, it just feel a little safer.

Was this your recent move?
Yes. I left a wine trail on the street like one of those painters that has a bucket tip over, that followed me all the way to the point I pulled over.

I pulled everything I could out of the truck and ran some water inside the truck to dilute everything. Left windows open all the time. The one benefit of having 100 degree summers is that it drys your carpet out reasonably fast when you break a carboy in it. Smelled like a winery, then sourdough bread for a while. So stupid and was easily avoidable.

Yes. I left a wine trail on the street like one of those painters that has a bucket tip over, that followed me all the way to the point I pulled over.

I pulled everything I could out of the truck and ran some water inside the truck to dilute everything. Left windows open all the time. The one benefit of having 100 degree summers is that it drys your carpet out reasonably fast when you break a carboy in it. Smelled like a winery, then sourdough bread for a while. So stupid and was easily avoidable.
man if you lived in Arkansas,, you'd went to jail for a open container.
Dawg

After reading all this and not relishing the thought of 5 or 6 gallons of wine on my basement floor, I went out and bought tubtrugs (https://www.amazon.com/TUBTRUGS-Large-Tub-Gallon-Blue) for my filled carboys. 3 gallon ones fit in juice pails I already had. Some of my carboys have no markings on the bottom… I need to contact Gino Pinto to see where they come from.

After reading all this and not relishing the thought of 5 or 6 gallons of wine on my basement floor, I went out and bought tubtrugs (https://www.amazon.com/TUBTRUGS-Large-Tub-Gallon-Blue) for my filled carboys. 3 gallon ones fit in juice pails I already had. Some of my carboys have no markings on the bottom… I need to contact Gino Pinto to see where they come from.
I also bought two 6 gallon carboys at Gino Pinto. Have a 3 gallon one from Mexico. My other five 6 gallons are italian made. So far no problems.

Very sticky seats I’m sure. But a nice aroma. Just don’t get stopped by the cops.

Here's a listing from Alibaba that is a little concerning. As you scroll down there are photos showing the smooth bottom without manufacturing marks, then continue down to the detail drawing (shown below) that shows the typical embossed bottom with Made Italy. Really? So where is it made? In the center of the bottom is a reserved spot for the manufacturing site punt mark, in this case it is left empty, or possibly you could specify whatever mark you want. A bit further down the page are reviews from Amazon commenting that Italian made carboys are very good quality. Are they implying that these are the carboys people are buying on Amazon?

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...spm=a2700.details.maylikeexp.5.61d65b20sDJRK9
Carboy 5gal Alibaba.png

The drawing below from The Cary Company shows the bottom of the Italian carboy with the "circle V" punt mark in the middle, which indicates the manufacturing site Vetri Speciali Italy Ormelle. I don't think there is any guarantee if purchasing a carboy from this supplier that it would be made at this particular site, but it illustrates how reputable manufacturers typically include punt marks for traceability. Even though a punt mark in the middle could be fake, I would certainly question anything without a mark.

Carboy 5gal Italy mfg.jpg

Last edited:
I would not trust a thing from Alibaba that you actually need to have, and have correct and accurate. Did you notice that the tech drawing was stolen from somewhere that speaks/writes in Italian? Most illustrations are stolen or reused, and almost every item I've looked at was offered in small to medium quantities from various sellers. When those are gone, the account is gone or used for something completely unrelated.
I have used the site to buy cheap inconsequential items, and did fine. Air filters, wine stoppers, coffee stuff, weird craft items, drill water pumps, etc. Nothing that would kill me if wrong, would shatter, or pose a problem if not received. I certainly would never order anything glass- new carboys should be purchased from a reputable company in the same country you are in. Then there is a recourse.

Here's a listing from Alibaba that is a little concerning. As you scroll down there are photos showing the smooth bottom without manufacturing marks, then continue down to the detail drawing (shown below) that shows the typical embossed bottom with Made Italy. Really? So where is it made? In the center of the bottom is a reserved spot for the manufacturing site punt mark, in this case it is left empty, or possibly you could specify whatever mark you want.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...spm=a2700.details.maylikeexp.5.61d65b20sDJRK9
View attachment 81564

The drawing below from The Cary Company shows the bottom of the Italian carboy with the "circle V" punt mark in the middle, which indicates the manufacturing site Vetri Speciali Italy Ormelle. I don't think there is any guarantee if purchasing a carboy from this supplier that it would be made at this particular site, but it illustrates how reputable manufacturers typically include punt marks for traceability. Even though a punt mark in the middle could be fake, I would certainly question anything without a mark.

View attachment 81563

@franc1969 Hopefully you didn't think that I was suggesting or considering purchasing anything from Alibaba, rather, I was pointing out how corrupt the market is, and how easy it is for a reseller to purchase these products that are questionable, then sell them here to unsuspecting people. I imagine a container load of defective stressed carboys was shipped here from China (not Mexico) several years ago, and the home-brew community has been working off the inventory and paying the price with shattering carboys ever since.

i never knew Italian carboys came in two grades, the standard grade is better then all others except for the premium Italian grade, a third of my carboys are Italian carboys, and good lord willing never a problem, i ran across the premium Italian carboys i got by accident, instantly you notice that they are much heaver , so 2/3's are premium for a total of 37 to 38, i forget,,, as far as i know any Mexico or American carboys are very old, and as glass gets older it get fatigued by years of movement, bumping, and setting down just a little hard, i lay a double layer of cardboard under all my carboys, my prep table is 8 foot long by 32 inch deep stainless steel, my 3 basin sink is 8 foot and stainless steel, my racking canes are 3/8 stainless, all chairs are wood, my vacuum-pump i have put 20 foot silicone hoses on, so the only time I move A carboy is to wash a empty, if you order in groups of 5 it is cheaper just under $35 a carboy and free shipping if i remember correctly.
Dawg

www.packagingoptionsdirect.com

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back