SG

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just racked some Gewurztraminer, degassed, stabalized, added clearing agents and sweetner. The sg should be around .997 according to instructions but ended up at .99 (took 3 readings). What would cause it to come out so low. I will defiantly back sweeten this afternoon to get it to at least 1.02. I know my ambiant temp is low but has worked for me right along at 68 degrees, I add a brew belt when needed and just take the extra time when needed.

Last edited:
I just racked some Gewurztraminer, degassed, stabalized, added clearing agents and sweetner. The sg should be around .997 according to instructions but ended up at .99 (took 3 readings). What would cause it to come out so low. I will defiantly back sweeten this afternoon to get it to at least 1.02. I know my ambiant temp is low but has worked for me right along at 68 degrees, I add a brew belt when needed and just take the extra time when needed.
Dan:

Please always mention the kit brand and name. You may have mentioned it in other posts, but that means nothing. Also please use three decimal places. With some folks, .99 may not mean .990. Was the .990 before or after the sweetener that you mentioned?

Generally, the kit instructions say "sg below xxx". Well .990 is below .998. In my experience, most Vineco and Winexpert kits will finish around .992, and most Spagnols kits around .995, regardless of what the instructions state. Then the F-pack/sweetener is added, and it should raise the sg. But I have rarely checked the sg after sweetening.

And do you really want to sweeten to 1.020 or to 1.002?

Steve

Steve, you right I should have known better. This was a Heron Bay Ultra premium kit. The instructions said it should finish approximatly at .997 and it finished at .990. The sg did not change from before and after the sweetner kit as it was a very small pouch compared to a WE kit. I did back sweeten enough just to get it to 1.001.

Dan:

The online Heron Bay instructions say ".995 or less". Sure doesn't sound like much of a sweetener pouch.

Steve

I guess .995 or .997 isn't that much different, just surprised online differs then the package instructions. I don't think the sweetner pouch had much more than a half a cup in it as it was only 3x5".

Latest posts

Back