Sg ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Roads

Reaction score
If my SG was 992 after fermentation, and I sweeten the wine. What SG should I expect now. I am getting 1000. This question is connected to my trouble after sweetening thread.

Sg is going to read what ever you want to sweeten to. 1.000 is good. Does it taste good to you?That is the real question.

If the wine is sweetened enough for your taste get a S.G. for future reference so you'll know just how much to sweeten your next batch.

The amount of sugar to dissolve in the Wine depends on your own taste , but here is a guideline :

S.G. less than 1000 -> Dry Wine

S.G. from 1000 to 1010 -> Medium dry Wine

S.G. from 1010 to 1020 -> Medium sweet Wine

S.G. from 1020 to 1030 -> Sweet Wine

S.G. from 1030 to 1040 -> Dessert Wine

Hector

Key word is sweeten to YOUR taste not any gravity. Once you like it ck the gravity for future reference if you plan on making it again

Key word is sweeten to YOUR taste not any gravity. Once you like it ck the gravity for future reference if you plan on making it again

another thing to think about is how much will it sweeten over time (to taste)? aging mellows and slightly sweetens wine (IIRC, one acid actually changes over time to become lactic acid, which is more sweet). typically we sweeten to "just sweet enough" and it seems to work well. we are also getting drier and drier ourselves, so wine we made last year is now somewhat more sweet than it could have been. my philosophy, drink it as dry as possible for 2 reasons.

1. sugar is only good for taste and not so good on your health (i drink wine often :D, so it matters some)

2. if you tend to drink like i do on weekends, it makes mornings easier as sugar dehydrates you and causes worse hangovers :ib

LOL @ "if you tend to drink like i do on weekends"
WIMP ! LOl
We go thru 2-3 bottles A DAY! :spm

Back