SG readings

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Specific gravity tells us how much sugar is in wine and is used to track fermentation. During a primary fermentation, it's not a bad idea to take readings every day, especially if you are looking to halt fermentation at a certain level. After your wine is anywhere from 1.00-.900 it is "dry," that is no more sugar is left for the yeast to ferment.

After the primary, SG really doesn't change much so you won't worry about it. But you may want to take it at bottling to know the exact alcohol content.

It would be to your benefit to post what kind of wine you're making and how far along in the process you are. And write everything you did down including the SG readings each day. You'll thank yourself in the future.

I ferment my must to dry in a bucket. Thereafter it will remain in carboys. I will check the gravity again at time of back sweetening just as a reference.

After the initial reading prior to fermentation, I usually won't start taking a gravity reading until the 4th day, then everyday thereafter until finished.

I used to take it a lot when I started... now I take it about twice. When wine sits in the carboy for a year... you don't really have to worry about it not being finished..LOL.

It is good to see the progress when you are starting, so you can see the different stages and equate that with the SG numbers. Lots to learn in the process. Good notes are a must.

I also ferment almost dry in the bucket. Once the airlock is on, I don't need to check anymore... just wait for sediment and clearing with some additives along the way.

Debbie

I also generally wait about 4 days and then ck it bout every other till dry, then as im waiting for it to clear i will check bout every 3 months if i rack. When i backsweeten i usually check and then again once its cleared right before i bottle.

Never !!!

No really never. Why should I ????

When I start my wine I do the math and know where my SG is at.

If I hear the wine fizzing (during primary) or see the airlock bubble I know that the wine is fermenting and SG is lowering. Thats enough.

I'll know when the wine has finished.

You can take a measurement just before bottling just to make sure the wine has no residual sugar. For the rest there is no logical reason to take more tests.

Luc

I wait until the bubbling in the airlock slows down, then I start measuring.

I check it prior to fermentation, 2-3 times while in primary, then again just before bottling. I may check it after the 1st rack from primary just ot see where we are at but other than that, not much sense. As others have stated, once activity in airlock has ceased and it has been aging in carboy for a couple months, fermentions should be complete.

I check at the biginning to get the sg I want, Then when active visible slows I check one a week or every other week. Then when I think it's done 3 days in a row...

On a wild hair if I get a little impatient or unsure if my yeast is working in the primary... I'll check more often. It's just one of those personal preference things... If I'm using a different 'new' kind of yeast I'll check the primary a coupl eof times just to see how the yeast is doing... :)

I have tried to take lots of advice from experienced wine makers. most of them seem to check SG less and less the longer they have done it. Being new, similar to you, I check it right before primary then only after I see the bubbles out of the airlock slowing down..then I check daily until I rack for secondary. Then again as I stabilize it. Then just prior to bottling....actually just prior to bottling I have started to try and use those diabetic testing strips (urine ones)...that really pins down how much/if RS is left...got that tip from an old timer, SG is less hassle in my book though. I figure I get the ABV when I stabilize and it shouldn't change much.
Anyone else use the CliniTest or similar Diabetic testing strips to read the RS? If so how do you do it for reds (like a port)...that I was not told :slp

You're right the more you make the less you will check it, but in my moments of impatience it helps to check it and remind yourself it's on the right track.... Having to sterilize everything and just go through the ordeal of checking it seems to remind me of the 3 P's. and I'd rather check it often than try to rush it along! :) And no I hadn't heard of using the Diabetis test strips...

Back