SG reading

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruno

Reaction score
I have a recipie for peach wine that calls for adding 1/2 of the sugar into the original solution, then the other half of the sugar 5 days later after straining. I took the SG readings after each time, but am unsure now how to figure the potential alcohol. Does anyone have any insight?

what were the two SG readings? Also did you take an SG reading before you added the second batch of sugar? if so we need that too.

If you know the original SG you will know how much
sugar was present per liter at the beginning of fermenataion.

If you know how much sugar you added totally you will know how
much sugar you added per liter.

By adding the two you will know how much sugar
was in the must and this can tell you what the estimated
end-alcohol will be.

18 gram of sugar will get you 1% alcohol in a liter.

Luc

I'm making a 2 gallon batch. The initial SG reading after I added the 1st half of the sugar (2 1/2 lbs) was 1.06. Five days later, I added the other half, and after adding, the reading was 1.04. I did not take a reading before adding the second half, however there was a strong fermentation happening.

I'm making a 2 gallon batch. The initial SG reading after I added the 1st half of the sugar (2 1/2 lbs) was 1.06. Five days later, I added the other half, and after adding, the reading was 1.04. I did not take a reading before adding the second half, however there was a strong fermentation happening.

If half the sugar gave you a 1.060 than all the sugar would have given you a 1.120 which is 16.30% ABV if it ferments to 1.000. More if it goes below which it should. But to get a 1.04 the second time you would have had to have a SG before the second addition of 0.980. With that low of an SG I do not see you having a strong fermentation right before the second addition. Is there any possibility that you used more than half of the sugar on the initial addition?

OR

if 2.5 lbs was half then 5lbs is the full amount. 2 gallons is 7.26 liters
5 lbs is 2268 grams by weight. so using Luc's 18 grams of sugar in 1 liter = 1% ABV. we get the formula
Sugar, divided by 18 grams, divided by liquid volume in liters = % ABV
sugar/18/volume= % ABV
2268/18/7.26 = 17.36% ABV

The difference between the two ways to figure it is 1%. So either way thats a lot of alcohol in 2 gallons of wine.

Last edited:
I have a digital scales that is very accurate, so I'm sure I added 1/2 of the sugar each time. After I mashed the peaches and poured boiling water on them, it said top off to 2 gallons after it cool. I may or may not have hit the 2 gallons on the nose. Would less water make higher alcohol?

Yes there would be more sugar in less water so the concentration would be higher. However, I doubt you were off a lot in the water. The unknown is the sugar in the peaches.
I am willing to bet you have at least 16.3% - 17.2% ABV and thats just from the sugar. The peaches will only add to it. Most important is let it finish and then age it for a good long time. With patience it should taste fine.

Back