SG Reading is Scaring me!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boozehag

NZ Artist
Reaction score
Ive just put down my first potato wine. Ive only made a wine kit brew so far so this is my first 'real' home brew!
I followed this receipe -

12 cups chopped potatoes
5 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups light sultanas
1 teaspoon yeast nutrients
2 Oranges
1/2 teaspoon pectic enzyme
1 campden tablet
water
1 package wine yeast

I left the must minus the yeast overnight as suggested and tested the specific gravity this morning. its supposed to be between 1.090 - 1.100 which the guy from the home brew shop said was too high anyway and I got a reading today of 1.120 which is higher again.
I thought what the heck...dont know what to do to change that anyway so added the yeast and set it to ferment under airlock.

My bright idea was to find a forum like this and ask advice...hopefully not too late. Ill be checking prior in future. But for now, does this mean Ive ruined the wine or can I or should i do anything to alter that? I dont particuallry care for high alcohol levels, preferring a nice tasting wine to one that gets me stupidly drunk so I appreciate any advice on this.

Also the waiting period on wine (6 months to a year or whatever?) do you take that from when you first start the ferment or when you bottle it?

As far as aging its from when its done fermenting and as far as gravity goes that is way to high for a wine of this type. I have never had potatoe wine as it really doesnt sound too interesting to me but to each his own. I would want to see this wine with a starting sg of around 1.080. the only way to get this back on track IMO is to do another same size batch with a much lower sg like 1.050 and add them together which will equal them out to around the the right finished abv. Adding water to bring down the abv at this point will just dilute the batch and have no flavor.

My uncle mad a potato and an onion wine, he says they are GREAT for cooking. how long ago did you start this batch, if it was less then 48 hours ago, a little water wouldn't hurt it to bad. but I wouldn't add more then 1/2 gallon.

Thanks for that, I really appreciate the advice. Will try the water for now as I dont have enough of all ingredients on hand to make anotehr batch, can always learn from the experience and alter next time. St least its only a gallon!!! Should I perhaps put in way less sugar next time and top up ...is that how you do it? How long do you wait bwetween sg readings for it to take effect?

Lol, potato wine doesnt sound nice does it, im only trying it becuase my Dad said it was one of the best types he made in his many years of experience. I also havent got access to other fruit this weekend so thought why not! Ill let you know what its like when its done and dusted!:D

You can make this other batch when ever you want and add it, they dont have to be fermenting to do this, its kind of like watering down a vodka to hide it from your dads stash. Yes, next time just add a little more of everything except the sugar.

Oh so I wasnt the only one watering down Dad's vodka?!:D

So when a receipe calls for adjusting the sg, you add water or sugar at that stage prior to yeast depending on which way you need to go and then this method you suggest, afterwards if silly enough to add yeast beforehand?

You just add the sugar until the desired sg is reached and that sg is most of te time 1.090 unless you are doing a port or a very strong wine like a Cab or Amararone.

Latest posts

Back