SG question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustynail

Junior
Reaction score
So I received a lot of good help with my temperature question. How about a new one concerning SG. I started a kit and it's starting SG was 1.07, approximately 18 days later after transfer to my carboy and stabilization the SG was 0.990. The wine was left to clear and I went on vacation. Now after 15 days or so the SG is back up over 1.0. What's happening to my wine??

So I received a lot of good help with my temperature question. How about a new one concerning SG. I started a kit and it's starting SG was 1.07, approximately 18 days later after transfer to my carboy and stabilization the SG was 0.990. The wine was left to clear and I went on vacation. Now after 15 days or so the SG is back up over 1.0. What's happening to my wine??

You need to check your hydrometer. Wines don't rise in SG without additions of sugar. It is possible for CO2 to cling to your hydrometer if you let it sit in the testing tube or container too long. BUT That much rise would extreme - so I would suggest that you test you hydrometer in some distilled water or lacking that just tap water. The reading in either case should very close to 1.000. IF it varies by more than .005 +/- I would suspect the hydrometer is damaged.

Also for clarity I would suggest you post SG readingas to the 3 decimal place in all cases to eliminate any confusion. For example was the reading exactly 1.07? If so it's much clearer to everyone if you post it as 1.070. It's a nit-noy thing but when you are trying to help a person starting out - we don't want to provide inaccurate help.

Thanks, I'll check the hydrometer. Sorry about the SG readings to two decimal places. Sometimes it's hard for me to see/figure out the third decimal

Thanks, I'll check the hydrometer. Sorry about the SG readings to two decimal places. Sometimes it's hard for me to see/figure out the third decimal

Yeah for this question, that extreme a difference, it's not a big deal - but it's part of the learning process. It's tricker when working with a slow ferment or stuck ferment and you are trying to see if anything is happening. Be sure to look over the thread on reading a hydrometer - Will save you some frustration. Normally if you are within .002 (the standard marking gradients on most hydrometers) you should be fine.

My hydrometer is fine...with distilled water I read 1.000. So I re-tested my wine...it's at 1.012. So, maybe I had an incorrect reading earlier when I thought I saw 0.990. So the question now is what do I do? There is no action in the "bubbler". Do I need to add more yeast? Maybe stir it and see if anything happens? Just wait it out?? Any help is greatly appreciated.

It kinda depends on what you mean by stabilization, if you added potassium metabisulphite and potassium sorbate already it is going to be a lot harder to get the ferment going again. (and I assume that is what you mean).

You might try getting three or four, maybe five packets of EC1118 yeast, add to the proper amount of water, let get going really good, then add same amount of wine as this mix. See if it starts to ferment, double the amount again. keep going until you have a good ferment going.

Yes, since my hydrometer read 0.990 (I thought), I added the potassium metabisulfite and potassium sorbate. Sounds like I messed up pretty good. So, cmason1957, are you saying get the yeast going with the water then add the same amount of wine as the water if it starts fermenting add wine again and again and again so on and so on until all 6 gallaons have been added??

At that point your (Sg 1.012) fermentation would be close to finishing. Question is what type of wine is it and is it too sweet for you? It will have a bit of sharpness to it being a very young wine but if it's too sweet, then certainly follow cmason's guidance. He'll get you through this.

I would get a good yeast starter going and add that.

Yes, since my hydrometer read 0.990 (I thought), I added the potassium metabisulfite and potassium sorbate. Sounds like I messed up pretty good. So, cmason1957, are you saying get the yeast going with the water then add the same amount of wine as the water if it starts fermenting add wine again and again and again so on and so on until all 6 gallaons have been added??
That's what I would probably try. You got my terrible explanation just fine. Don't know if it will work for you or not.

Latest posts

Back