SG of Melomel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

booser

Junior
Reaction score
I made my must last night for a 3 gallon melomel. I didn’t have the yeast last night, so I’m going too pitch today. I did, however, take a reading and it was 1.044. I added the fruit last night and checked the sg again today and now it reads 1.031. It makes sense to me that it would have dropped due to the addition of the fruit and possibly the water content diluting it. Am I right in thinking this? If so, how do I calculate my fg? Is it based on my reading from last night or today?

Thank you for your input.

Seems like kinda large drop to me. How much of what ingredients did you put in? Was there any bubbling before pitching yeast?

You asked how to "calculate my fg." I suspect you meant to say "calculate my ABV," right? You don't calculate a final gravity; you measure it with a hydrometer.

If you are trying to calculate your ABV, then use the 1.031 as your starting SP (sometimes called "original gravity," OG).

Thanks for the reply.

I ended up with a total volume of 3.25 gallons with about 12 lbs of honey, 12 lbs of fruit.
(Loosely following a Curt Stock recipe)

Sorry for the errors in my original post. I meant it dropped from 1.144 to 1.131....and you’re right..I meant to say ABV. I just wasn’t sure why the sg dropped at all and what to use as my OG when I calculate the ABV.

I’m using 6 lbs of blackberrries, a 4 lb bag of mixed fruit...strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries and 1.5 lbs of black currants along with almost 2 quarts of black currant juice from the same container of Vintners Harvest the berries came from.

The PH was 3.5.

Back