SG not dropping

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarleyHead

Junior
Reaction score
This is my second attempt at making wine and I’m stuck. The following is what i mixed in a primary fermenter. (2) gallons of Vintner’s Harvest apricot wine base. (3) gallons of water. 12 lbs white table sugar. 1-1/2 tsp acid blend. 4 tsp yeast nutrient. 2-1/2 tsp pectic enzyme. ½ tsp wine tannin. (5) campden tablets. (1) pack of Red Star Montrachet Wine Yeast. SG reading was 1.19. Yes, first mistake was adding yeast and campden tablet at the same time. Killed my yeast. I removed the lid, waited 24 hours then added a little more wine nutrient and (1) pack of Lalvin K1-V1116 wine yeast. Waited another 24 hours and replaced the lid. Two weeks later SG is only down to 1.15. Not sure what to do now. SG should be dropping faster.

This is my second attempt at making wine and I’m stuck. The following is what i mixed in a primary fermenter. (2) gallons of Vintner’s Harvest apricot wine base. (3) gallons of water. 12 lbs white table sugar. 1-1/2 tsp acid blend. 4 tsp yeast nutrient. 2-1/2 tsp pectic enzyme. ½ tsp wine tannin. (5) campden tablets. (1) pack of Red Star Montrachet Wine Yeast. SG reading was 1.19. Yes, first mistake was adding yeast and campden tablet at the same time. Killed my yeast. I removed the lid, waited 24 hours then added a little more wine nutrient and (1) pack of Lalvin K1-V1116 wine yeast. Waited another 24 hours and replaced the lid. Two weeks later SG is only down to 1.15. Not sure what to do now. SG should be dropping faster.

First mistake was SG of 1.19, your potential ABV is in the mid to upper 20's, like 27% + ABV. That's so sugary, you were lucky to get it to ferment at all.

I'm agree with Johnd, your first and biggest mistake was your sg. 1116 cannot ferment to dry, actually no yeast can do that. Not sure what you should do, maybe add some more juice and water to bring the sg down to around 1.109 - 1.110 and add lavlin 1118.

Back