sg not changing, day 3

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pittspur

Reaction score
Sorry to bug everyone, but I am just a bit nervous about my first wine making attempt. I am using a World Vineyard Washington Riesling - 6 gal. Yeast that came with the kit was Lavlin EC-1118. I started the kit on Saturday night. I have it covered with the lid on lightly. Starting sg of 1.082. It is now Tuesday and my sg has not changed. Yesterday, there was a cap of bubbles on the must. Today, there are bigger bubbles, but less of them. There still is a strong yeast smell. I can hear bubbling happening. The temps are low. Started out around 62 degrees. The last 2 days, I have put a space heater in the area and temps are up near 65. Should I be doing anything different? Continue to try and raise the temp? Just let it go? Thanks for the help.

So you don't have a lid with the airlock in it ? I think you did the right think getting it warmer but I have no idea what level the SG should be at ,will leave that to the pros here . I only use the airlock so I know when it starts doing it's thing I can see the bubbles in the lock .

NS - thanks for the response. I didn't use the airlock, based on the things that I have read here, saying that you could even leave the lid off and just cover with a cloth.

pittspur:

I ferment at 74F roughly. The kit instructions say 65-75F. 62-65F will result in VERY SLOW fermentations. Personally, I would try to get the must much warmer.

I wonder if you got an accurate initial sg reading. I haven't made this kit, but thought it's initial sg might be more like 1.085 to 1.090.

Unless you can get this wine warmer, I believe that you will have a devil of a time degassing it.

Steve

Steve,
Thanks for the response. I will continue to try and raise the temp. That shouldn't be a big problem, as it is in a small room in the basement. It looks like I will have to buy one of those warming belts in the future.

As for the sg reading, I certainly could have made a mistake. The reading was within the instruction's expected values (1.075-1.092), so i thought I was good to go.
Dave

Your temp should be 70 to 75. Also a good stir every couple of days to distribute the yeast would be good.
It's been around 55 deg in the house at night (we have an apartment that is below ground)
My brew belt has been invaluable.

NS - thanks for the response. I didn't use the airlock, based on the things that I have read here, saying that you could even leave the lid off and just cover with a cloth.

Don't get me wrong about the airlock ,I was just saying i couldn't help because I only use the airlock .
Also i don't think you're bugging anyone here because they love to help us newbies .

That shouldn't be a big problem, as it is in a small room in the basement. It looks like I will have to buy one of those warming belts in the future.
I have my wine in a small room in the basement. Doors closed with a heat vent in the room, and no outside walls or windows. ATM, it's about 74F. I also have a small ceramic heater that I sometimes use, especially if I'm planning to degas any time soon.

I typically have 3-5 carboys on the go, so I prefer a warm room to multiple brew belts. Plus a kit goes in the warm room for a couple of days before starting it, and so does the water needed for that kit.

Steve

Not sure from this if you have a cover that takes an airlock and you simply covered the hole instead of using the airlock, or if you have a solid cover that does not take an airlock. If the former, it would be much easier to lay the cover on loosely rather than on tightly ( easier for visual check and to check SG); if the latter, then you better not put it on tight or the gas can't escape.
Like others have said, a higher temp will get a vigorous ferment going; also make sure your must is well stirred so it has oxygen for the yeast.
Good luck . Doug

Pittspur
My apologies - I misread your initial post as "tightly" rather than "lightly" for the lid - where did I put my reading glasses:d
.. Doug

Those afre cold temps so thats why it took so long to get going. Make sure you keep the temps up unil it is finished fermenting and you have degassed your wine and cleared it if using a fining agent. If not using a fining agent then the cooler temps will actually help it clear quicker.

Ya warmer will do the trick and worrying after 3 day breaks the first 3 rules of wine making.
1) patience
2) patience
3) patience. Also if you read direction some will tell you not to stir and other will tell you to stir, Follow direction that came with kit until you start getting feel for wine making, and there is a 6th sense and feel. As you develop it this stuff gets fun

Latest posts

Back