SG in pulp fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whine4wine

Reaction score
OK, I'm sure someone has an easy way too this.:)

In primary fermentation of a must with pulp, is there an easy way to get liquid from the mixture, so I can take a SG reading.

It's kind of a hassle to strain off or filter clear liquid to take a SG reading.

What are some of your secrets for an easy way to filter off some clear liquid from the pulp??

I also have questions on sweetening wine. Are there ways to do it during secondary fermentation, or should it be done after fermentation is complete, and the wine is stabilized.

You could use something like a turkey baster (sanitized of course) to take some liquid off the bottom and put that in your vile to test your S.G.

Thanks Rocket Man
I was wondering if perhaps there was a special tool or something.:re

Ive been putting a cone shaped paint gun filter into the top of the must and the clear juice filters into it. Kind of slow,but I guess it works.

Hey, I see your from Mich, what part?

Thanks Dale

Dale, first of all. Alot of the gang uses a paint strining bag, or believe it or not nylon panty hose to contain this pulp, solid fruits. Sanitized of course.

You could also use a spoon or somethng like that to push some of the solids to the side so the hydrometer can float. I am guessing you are fermenting in an open vessel, (bucket etc.)

Be sure anything you stick in your wine is sanitized.

And whether or not you use a fermenting bag or have the solids on top(it's refered to as the cap), be sure to press it under the liquid at least once a day, twice is better, keeps everything moist and will sure minimize the risks of anything becoming "spoiled".

When I bought my first(Isay first because they break easily)hydrometer, it came with a long slender tube. I would simply siphon a little off into that tube and float the hydro in there.

Keep in mind, if you are measuring an active fermentation you now have bubbles involved. These will adhere to the hydrometer and make it "float". This will give you an inaccurate reading. Be sure to spin it a little bit, and tap it to dislodge these bubbles. This will give you the most accurate reading.

I have a half gallon plastic pitcher of water, with about a tbls of K meta in it, thats where I leave my potato masher in for puushing down the cap.

troy

Last edited:
I use a baster like rocket man. When I quirt it into my test tube, it fizzes some of the gas out. Works quite nicely.

Same difference Kil, but you still want to dislodge those bubbles.

Thanks Rocket Man
I was wondering if perhaps there was a special tool or something.:re

Ive been putting a cone shaped paint gun filter into the top of the must and the clear juice filters into it. Kind of slow,but I guess it works.

Hey, I see your from Mich, what part?

Thanks Dale

I'm about 15 minutes from you whine4wine in Saginaw.

I almost forgot about the wine thief, all this time i was blaming my dissappearing wine on my cats!!!!!!

Troy

Lay off making the catnip wine and they'll leave it alone...:D

Hmmm, maybe I've come up with a a new flavor to try? Label names should be fun too. I'm thinking something with Fluff Daddy or P. Kitty in it...

I like it KIL. I will say again, some of the labels I have seen are just as cool as the wine, in fact, naming your wine and creating a label for it is half of the final product. There are really some neat labels out there, not just those I have seen in here but in general. I like the P Kitty, has a ring to it, or is that just in my head? LOL

Troy

Nubz I replied twice to your PM. i didnt see that it was sent. Did you get either one of them?
Troy

Latest posts

Back