SG has been a 1.000 for 3 weeks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know what it is but I would venture to say YES!! Rack it and get it cleared and sulfited.

SG has been a 1.000 for 3 weeks

Is this bad?
Not bad at all, since it has been sulfited. Can you give us some history.. specific gravities and temperatures? Also kit or juice?

Steve

You sulfited it while it was fementing?

No idea, the juice was fermenting when I got it, so I don't know the actual starting SG.

I think it had a little bit left to go, before I accidentally added the sulfites after degassing.

I tasted some its actually not that sweet, but I dont mind it a little sweet.

Zinns can sometimes have a little residual sugar, depending on where the starting SG level. A dry Zinn will be about .998 so 1.000 sounds like it will be "jammy". I like my zinns that way.
If it is still that SG when you bottle, be sure and stabilize it. I have seen a sweet zin referment in the bottle and turn it into cooking wine.

No idea, the juice was fermenting when I got it, so I don't know the actual starting SG.

I think it had a little bit left to go, before I accidentally added the sulfites after degassing.

I tasted some its actually not that sweet, but I dont mind it a little sweet.

Let your palette be your guide.

Let your palette be your guide.

The pallette is the most important tool in the winery. If you are happy with the level of sweetness, then that's good enough. at 1.00, I would call the wine "soft" (as opposed to dry) and not exactly sweet.

At that low level of sugar, and given the level of free SO2 that you probably have (k-meta), I would say that it would be difficult to kick the fermentation off at this point. Further down the road, however, my fear would be that the wine will kick back off after you have it in the bottle.

So here is MHO, Sorbate the wine to reduce potential of later, unwanted fermentation. I would also bulk age it for at least 6 months before bottling just to be sure.

So here is MHO, Sorbate the wine to reduce potential of later, unwanted fermentation. I would also bulk age it for at least 6 months before bottling just to be sure.

Great idea!

Do I want to add the sorbate now? How much do I add for 6gal?

Latest posts

Back