SG for pressing Syrah

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arieh

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all,

I understand choosing at what SG to press out Syrah is a stylistic choice. I am about to press and just wondering what others do here?...

If I do press before absolute dryness, is fermentation likely to continue off the skins in my steel vat and should I add some kmeta when decanting or wait until after fermentation ends?

Thanks

Fermentation will continue as long as there is sugar and the rest of the conditions are right. I press mine 2-5 days after it reads 0 on the hydrometer. My criteria is when the bubbles slow. Use an air lock and the higher the sugar when you press, the more headspace you will want to leave. If you want to do mlf don't add meta until it is done.

I think it depends. If the fruit is excellent and the temps are good, I'll be slow to press, but within a day or two of fermentation being completed. If the fruit is damaged and there were some struggles with fermentation, I've pressed with a brix or two left to go.

Latest posts

Back