WineXpert SG at .994 in less than a week...What now?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmf2000

Reaction score
I started two Mist type kits and they are both have an SG of .994. This occured in less than a week. Now I'm not quite sure what to do. Is it possible for wine to ferment too quickly? Should I continue to wait or should I start clarifying it now?

Confused...
Tim

just follow your instructions. the calendar is not a winemaking tool.
ferments rarely follow the prescribed day schedule.
if you are supposed to move onto the next step when the SG reaches 0994 then go ahead. some ferments go faster than others, some go slower. temp has alot to do with it.

Last edited:
That's good to know. I thought the fact that it fermented so quickly meant that I had somehow ruined the wine.

Temps are a big factor as well as how fresh the yeast is. Worry more on the gravity than time. But, let it clear on its time not your thinking its clear. Remember, you cant rush winemaking.

But, let it clear on its time not your thinking its clear. Remember, you cant rush winemaking.

The instructions say to draw a sample and examine in good light to see if it's cloudy. Not sure I really know what I'm supposed to be looking for. When I look through the carboy, it looks clear to me, I don't see any "floaties". It's just a nice glowing red color. Are they any tricks to judging clear vs. cloudy??

Is it easier to just rack it when you think it's done and then wait a week to see if any more sediment settles?

Just checking on something. The second step in the WE kits is typically to rack to a carboy. Have you done that yet? You shouldn't rush clearing. I would rack to a carboy, and make sure its finished up. Some wines go to .990, so its best to wait. Again I would follow the instructions.

Good luck. These kits are hard to mess up. The only way to really mess them up is to hurry the process and try to clear and stabilize before its done fermenting.

When did you start?
When did you rack?
Like what MN-winer said follow the directions. You may be overthinking it now.
What chemicals did yoiu use so far?
Let it sit at least 2 weeks after adding clearing agents.
Did you add the f-pac that came with the "mist" kit?

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread. Reading the Q&A above led me to have new questions of my own.

I added the clarifiers and degassed per instructions 1 week ago. This is WE Blackberry Cab kit. Instructions say to check the clarity after two weeks, by drawing a small sample and examine under good light. Just not sure what I'm supposed to be looking for. If it's cloudy will it be obvious to a newbie?

If you see the beam in it kinda like when there sun in a room and you see the dust in the air, then it's not clear enough.
Here's a video winexpert made for their kit, you'll see at the begining of this one they explain it.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqQNexhKjn8&feature=related[/ame]

Clarification and another question

First I am glad to see others contributing this thread.

On another note, it reached .994 in 5 days without me racking. In the first case, I let it sit in the primary fermenter for an extra week. The other one I racked on the 7th day.

I am wondering should I wait another week before adding the additional chemicals or is it safe to do now? I'm of the opinion that it would be safe to do now since it is no longer fermenting.

Tim

as rawlus pointed out earlier, if you have reached the target sg, move on.

it won't hurt to wait another week or more.. the wine is protected by C02 at present.

Allie

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread. Reading the Q&A above led me to have new questions of my own.

I added the clarifiers and degassed per instructions 1 week ago. This is WE Blackberry Cab kit. Instructions say to check the clarity after two weeks, by drawing a small sample and examine under good light. Just not sure what I'm supposed to be looking for. If it's cloudy will it be obvious to a newbie?

This is one of those lower alc cooler type wines right?.. like the heron bay breeze kits?

It's always difficult to assess the clarity of a red.. and you have just degassed and clarified yours.. You can safely leave it another few weeks before bottling..

this will benefit you one way and slow the drinking down another way.. (three positives right? my maths is great!)

you'll be leaving it a little longer to have the solids drop out, deposits in the bottle are not a positive.

once it is in the bottle , you have a 'bottle shock'.. the wine needs 4 to 6 weeks to recover before you drink it. so delaying bottling, delays drinking.. however the upside is better clarity, no deposit and a smoother wine in the long run..

Allie

As long as you have both under airlock and they are finished fermenting you are safe to keep them as is. I believe the directions say let sit for 10 days or some amount of time in secondary then proceed to clear and stabilize, although i've never made the mist kits. It sounds as though one kit was on the primary longer than the other. A week is not a big deal, a month would probably not be good. If they are in secondary and locked you are Ok.

letting wine age a little longer has benifits, going to fast to bottles seldom does

Latest posts

Back