Seyval or Vidal?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got notification that our local wine club is able to source local juice this fall. We have our choice of Seyval or Vidal, neither of which I have had before. I might get both, but I already have two whites in process and one recently bottled, so I think I will keep it to one. Whaddya like?

If it helps to distinguish, I am more of a Viognier/Pinot Gris/Chardonnay drinker than a Sauv Blanc/Pinot Grigio drinker.

Vidal is sweeter, but can be made dry ive gotten mine from Walker's fruit products and wine juices.

I am more of a Viognier/Pinot Gris/Chardonnay drinker

Sounds like you'd want Vidal then. It has bolder fruit and more pronounced acid than seyval. I really like how almost "delicate" seyval can be. Light citrus notes and lower TA make it a great wine for seafood.

This year I'm blending my seyval into my Cayuga. Not getting more than 3/4ton of either grape thanks to the May freeze here. This blend in the past had helped bring out the best of each of the grapes.

I've done both but actually like Chardonnel if you can get it. Still has a bit of foxiness to it, but lightly oaked it's pretty good. I have one I made from whole crushed grapes here locally. He grows Vidal as well but usually sells the whole lot to a winery up north. He did sell me 5 gallons of Vidal one year, I think it would make a great dessert wine if you are into that kind of thing.

Both grapes share a parent, Rayon d’Or, which is a Siebel hybrid. What that means is you may noice some similarities. I’d say try both. Vidal may finish too sweet to suit you.

While Vidal is commonly made into sweeter wines, it makes an excellent dry wine, and it will probably be heavier than the Seyval.

I can't really make a recommendation -- I like both and enjoyed them in multiple styles, although I prefer unoaked and austere.

If *I* had to make the choice? I'd do a carboy of each. Yeah, I know, that's not exactly helpful .....

I've made both. I like Seyval better, bigger wine more complex. Seyval is considered the Chardonnay of the East (US)

I just got notification that our local wine club is able to source local juice this fall. We have our choice of Seyval or Vidal, neither of which I have had before. I might get both, but I already have two whites in process and one recently bottled, so I think I will keep it to one. Whaddya like?

If it helps to distinguish, I am more of a Viognier/Pinot Gris/Chardonnay drinker than a Sauv Blanc/Pinot Grigio drinker.
I had a very bad experience with Vadia. I bought several barrels from them over the years with no problems, until my last purchase, I bought a 32 gallon and I did all the proper procedures to swell it and it held water , I then filled it up with my wine and the next day I had a couple leaks around the head of the barrel. So I called Ruthie up and she gave the phone to her daughter, she was very rude and blamed everything on me saying that I swelled the barrel wrong I told her that I swelled over 50 barrels in my time. So she said the only thing she could do is mail me beeswax so I pumped my wine back into stainless did her beeswax procedure and pumped the wine back into the barrel and it still leaked. I called her and she proceeds to call me an idiot and and was extremely rude to me so I will never buy one of there barrels a
Vidal is sweeter, but can be made dry ive gotten mine from Walker's fruit products and wine juices.

Latest posts

Back