settlings in bottle

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pam

Reaction score
I just recently bottled some wine. I had several gallons of different kinds.
I thought all the wine was very clear but I must have picked up some settlings before bottling.
After the bottles are corked and sat for 3 days, I noticed that there is a faint amount of white settling on the bottom of the bottle. When agitating it a bit, you barely notice it in the bottle. Should I uncork and resiphon out of the individual bottles or will it hurt to just let it as is. I did use the Keiselesol/chitosan clearing agents.
Thanks to anyone who has an opinion. I am only talking 5 bottles of wine.
Will the settling affect the taste over time?
Thanks
Pam

Won't hurt a thing to leave as is and it does not affect the taste but you wouldn't want to enter it in a competition.

You racked a bit to early.

I would do as Sacalait suggest.
leave it and do not worry.

Luc

settlings

Thanks,
I dont think I racked too early, but I did have a somewhat traumatic racking.
The "guy" (hubbie) on the other end of the siphon tube let it dip into the settling but said nothing got in.. I wondered if it was ok. Should have let it sit a while again. Lesson learned. I had used Keisolsol/Chitosan so my understanding is that you just rack off the settling and bottle right?
thanks.
Pam

Best way is to rack the wine into another carboy,
then wait a few more weeks to make sure that no sediment forms
anymore and that the wine is perfectly clear.

Then bottle.

Luc

I have drank $120 a bottle organic wine (no chemicals) that had sediment. Pour slowly. You can purchase a "Rabbit, wine shower-funnel" at Bed Bath and Beyond that does an awesome job with that sediment. About 20 bucks. Thats why an old timer like me graduated to a buon jet filter. For years I just poured slowly. When I started making wine I never used all of those fancy chemicals. I now love my polished wine using the buon jet filter. Plus I now use all of those chemicals. Hey, even the commercial wineries have gone to stainless steel tanks and hang their oak in bags. That is why we can buy good wine for a 15 bucks a bottle. The other choices are if you do malolactic fermentations to lower acid you throw that barrel away and pass the cost on to the customer.

Latest posts

Back