setting up irrigation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtstar

Reaction score
I have two different vineyards and I want to set up drip irrigation in them the rows are about one hundred feet long with about twenty vines in each row I am planning on running one half inch tube down each row and install drip nozzles in the locations of the vines I know you can different size nozzles and I am wondering what size nozzles to use can anyone help me with this

Still new here, but I'll give it a shot. Typical household water lines have somewhere around 40psi, maybe a little bit more, which will crank out just under 40 gallons per minute on a 1-inch pipe. A half-inch pipe? I really don't know.

A drip system shouldn't require much psi, but you probably want to make sure you irrigate from a point closest to your water main, and you might get just above 50psi depending on where you live. The closer you are to the city or municipality's water main, the more pressure you'll get. --- I don't know how many rows you're irrigating, and if it'll affect your water pressure if you irrigate all of your rows at the same time. There's really where the math comes in.

All you need to calculate is the GPM for your drip nozzles and how many GPD your plants will require. You want to make sure that the plants gets their GPD requirements within a given time window, whatever that window may be. Same concept as a home sprinkler system. Especially if you plan on avoiding watering during the heat of the day. Losing water to evaporation is a waste.

How elaborate do you want to make the system? If it were me I would go with a sprinkler system that can get the job done fast, in which case you may need a manifold and a controller since sprinkler nozzles will definitely require more pressure. I'd just worry that a true DRIP system wouldn't get a fruiting plant the water it needed in a reasonable amount of time. If you're trying to water a fruiting vine that needs 20-30 gallons per day I just don't think a DRIP system is reasonable or will get the job done in 24 hours. With our home sprinkler system, trying to run the front yard & back yard sprinklers at the same time will suck all of the pressure out of the lines and the sprinklers won't work because there isn't enough pressure. Irrigation systems will have this same problem.

With a controller and manifold system you can set it up to irrigate one row at a time in a sequence. Say it takes 15 minutes for each plant in the row to get their GDP requirement ; then the controller turns off the valve and opens up the next valve, runs it 15 minutes, etc. They're easy to set up. Controllers might cost you $100 for something cheap. --- I would focus on getting 1 row at a time watered and use a controller. Then you really don't have to worry about doing all of the math.

https://www.plumbersstock.com/manif...MIlJa774Sm1QIVjG5-Ch3uYQ-IEAQYBCABEgILqvD_BwE

https://www.plumbersstock.com/manif...MIlJa774Sm1QIVjG5-Ch3uYQ-IEAQYBCABEgILqvD_BwE

Last edited:
I have two different vineyards and I want to set up drip irrigation in them the rows are about one hundred feet long with about twenty vines in each row I am planning on running one half inch tube down each row and install drip nozzles in the locations of the vines I know you can different size nozzles and I am wondering what size nozzles to use can anyone help me with this

Nozzles dictate how long you water. To make math easy, I use 1gph droppers designed for 50psi. I'm in a desert and water for 8 hours at a shot when they need it. Research from WSU shows longer less often watering builds deeper roots whether surface sprinklers or dripped. You want to keep drippers a few inches away from the trunk.

I switched from sprinklers to drippers based on research that shows more water goes to the root zone, and for less weeds. Up to verasion I water every couple of weeks, I watch the tendrils. After verasion I let them stress a little.

I've been considering drip also. I'm looking at 4 lines on timers to spread out the pump use.

I'm also considering placing cheap schedule 40, 2" pipe into the ground and dripping into it. If I bury it at least 6" deep, the water will go to the roots and not surface weeds.

FWIW, I got a vineyard kit with 1500 feet of 1/2" line. I have 7 rows 144', 126 vines. I have 0.5 gph emitters. They are supposed to be pressure independent, meaning the drip rate stays the same regardless of the pressure.

I have to say, the rates look pretty similar across the vineyard.

I've been considering drip also. I'm looking at 4 lines on timers to spread out the pump use.

I'm also considering placing cheap schedule 40, 2" pipe into the ground and dripping into it. If I bury it at least 6" deep, the water will go to the roots and not surface weeds.

I've heard of doing that for wind. Interesting thought on weeds. I might have to ponder that one. Stupid alfalfa will still get down rhere though.

We've got about 15,000' of 1/2" Netafim dripnet Pressure Compensating 24" spacing, .42 gph drip tube. It will run from 6-66 psi...
We run ours 2- 4 hours 1-4 times a week depending on what it is were shooting for. But we try to give a minimum of 1" a week. 2" once we are developing fruit. More as necessary depending on conditions.
I researched all I could get my hands on. And this is what we chose.

I plan on using the 36" spacing with added buttons on our grapes and muscadines next spring.

It can be plowed in or ditch burried, wire hung or ground laid.
We just lay ours on the ground along the plants. It's easy to visually inspect it for issues.... This past spring however we had almost 20 vole/mouse chewed damage places... But it couples easy so not a huge deal.

Berryhill irrigation had the best pricing by far.

Latest posts

Back