Separation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mccollum_mac

Junior
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm still new-ish at making wine, and the best one I've made is a "skittles wine".
1607480845588253272718967318285.jpgVery unconventional, but I've done it several times and it is a big hit.
This time I did it like normal but I think I racked it too soon from the secondary even thow it wasn't ready. I let it set a month or so and it didn't really move so I racked it again and pitched more yeast. I let it set a little longer cause it is colder in my basement, about 61°(which is why I don't make wine in the winter). I went to take a reading and what I collected is almost a clear liquid, like it separated. I could see a cloudy haze about 6 inches of the top but the reflection of the bottom made it look semi-normal. Until I took some out to take a reading. It is still very sweet, reading at like 1.100.
I did the mad sciencest approch and tasted the clear liquid and it tastes like simple syrup.
This has never happened before. What happened and is it ruined?
A picture of the liquid is attached.

I have never tried making Skittles wine, so I am sure you know more than I do. I would say your attempt is NOT ruined, but neither is it wine! I don't know your normal protocol ("never happened before"). However, if it were mine, I would stir it all up and use a starter to try to get fermentation going: Using Yeast Starters For Improved Fermentation

Latest posts

Back