Semi Noob Help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scratch

Junior
Reaction score
Greetings:
Semi noob because I enjoyed a previous membership.
Been absent due to moving and health issues.
Made some Dragon's Blood, Peach, and Concord from Welches with your help.
I hope to make a white wine from a kit as may be supplied from my (not so) local wine hobby store or from an online source.
Would like something simple that even I couldn't mess up. If its possible.
This would be my first wine from a kit.
Any help would be appreciated.
Scratch...

Hey Scratch:

In order to provide a better recommendation, can you give us some idea of what kind of white wines you like to drink?

Thank you Jim.
I enjoy the dry to the lightly sweet.
Chard, to Mosel.
I once had a German white, that was like drinking liquid grape.
Should have kept the label.Think that was a Gewurztraminer.
Hope to repeat that experience through my wine making efforts.
At present I just bottled five gallons of DD's Dragon Blood.
Presently fermenting three gallons of Welche's Concord. This primarily to show my neighbor how easy it is to make wine.
Tony...

Many thanks for the link Jim.
Appreciated and added to my Favs.
I read the reviews on the Gewurztraminer and was thrown off by one that said it had a peppery taste.
Not really what I'm looking for.
The Riesling description and reviews however,do look to be what I am seeking.
I like the fact that they include a sweetener pack so that you can adjust to taste.
Also reviews claim an easy process, which is what i'm looking for in my first "real" wine.

Interesting review comment about the peppery taste. I wonder if that isn't supposed to be for a different wine. I wouldn't expect anything like that from a Gewurz. Regardless, I'm glad you found something that interests you.

I read the reviews on the Gewurztraminer and was thrown off by one that said it had a peppery taste.
Not really what I'm looking for.

Interesting review comment about the peppery taste. I wonder if that isn't supposed to be for a different wine. I wouldn't expect anything like that from a Gewurz. Regardless, I'm glad you found something that interests you.

The "gewürz" in "Gewürztraminer" means spice or herb. "Pepper" is a not-uncommon descriptor for Gewürztraminer wines:
https://www.decanter.com/wine-reviews-tastings/what-is-gewurztraminer-like-300561/
https://www.beckervineyards.com/product/Gewurztraminer-2015

Latest posts

Back