Semi dry, what oechsle range?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to Wine Spectator, semi-dry is 9 to 18 g/l. I don't think in metric, so I found a unit converter, which indicates a SG of 1.009 to 1.018. You can look that up on the chart I previously listed.

Are you planning to backsweeten to make a semi-dry wine?

I searched for it. ;)

While a common answer is "search for it", the best search engine is useless unless you use the correct keywords. It took me several tries, using full names of the items. There are dozens of tables that lack at least one of the columns needed.

Also, I had never heard of oechsle-range, so I had to look that up. ;)

I suggest you don't consider the sugar level when back sweetening. Let the wine guide you. Keep adding sugar until the wine tastes "right".

My son and I recently bottled his FWK Riesling. It comes with a sweetening pack, and the base wine was a bit acidic. He and I prefer dry, so we started with 4 oz in 6 gallons. He thought it tasted great.

I told him to take another taste and consider the acid. In his next taste he considered the wine as a whole, and realized it was still a bit sharp, so we added 2 oz more, and that produced a balanced wine.

Back