Sell me on the All in One Wine Pump

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there an adapter or something that can be used with a barrel that takes a #9.5 bung?

-You can basically get any sized bung from Steve with the proper holes drilled out. Just ask and he’ll send it.
-You can also just drill them yourself. I’ve done this numerous times. On both solid & universal bungs
-the PET plastic carboy setup he sells is also #9.5

But more importantly - does vacuum pumping work on barrels? I haven’t attempted. Or read about anyone else either. Just with the nature of the oak and barrel assembly i don’t think it would seal well enough to pull wine. I use my vacuum pump exclusively. But go old school gravity siphon to the barrel.

Is there an adapter or something that can be used with a barrel that takes a #9.5 bung?

The barrel standard bung set up Steve sells comes with a 1/2" splash racking cane and a #10 bung which I believe is the same one he uses for the pet carboys so you need 1/2" tubing and racking cane. His theory is you don't want to place too much negative pressure in the barrel since it is designed for outward pressure. But to be honest I have used both the 1/2" and 3/8" and haven't had any trouble with either.

Ok few questions:

You leave the pump on the entire time, right?

What happens if you fill your carboy entirely (no headspace) and suck some air into it?

Should I ever be using the inline valve (or whatever it's called) while racking?

I know I could just call Steve, but I have social anxiety (among other issues) and talking to people on the phone just really isn't my thing. Thanks for your patience.

I also leave the pump on all the time but if the receiving vessel is below the transfer vessel you don't have to, it just takes longer. The hardest thing you will find is when to stop flow with the release valve once the receiving vessel gets full. The initial gallon trick is one way of preventing an overflow but you will get the hang of it eventually.

A little trick on drilling the bungs, if you put your bung in the freezer and let it get super cold, have found that I get much better holes drilled in it than if it's at room temp. I think the rubber heats up quickly from room temps as you drill and starts grabbing onto the bit, making cruddy holes, not so when it's frozen.

A little trick on drilling the bungs, if you put your bung in the freezer and let it get super cold, have found that I get much better holes drilled in it than if it's at room temp. I think the rubber heats up quickly from room temps as you drill and starts grabbing onto the bit, making cruddy holes, not so when it's frozen.

Never tried that, really good idea. Drilling room temperature bungs is a pain.

Never tried freezing but you can drill a perfect hole in a bung using a simple ‘hole saw’ drill bit. Just take a piece of 1/4” pipe and file the edge a bit to make it sharp and it will easily core out a hole.

I made one years ago out of cheap 1/4” brass water supply line from HD.

I just like the convenience of the plastic inserts that the AIO fittings come with all set up for the hoses but I guess I could make one. However, my barrel is water tight now so may not want to mess with that and just use the ‘ole racking cane like a barbarian [emoji16].

I am planning on ordering a pump. Let me ask this to make sure I understand right. When aging instead of using a bung with an airlock I can use the headspace eliminator instead? Even if aging for a year and racking three or four times?

I am planning on ordering a pump. Let me ask this to make sure I understand right. When aging instead of using a bung with an airlock I can use the headspace eliminator instead? Even if aging for a year and racking three or four times?

Others may disagree but I just don't feel comfortable using it for long term. I did used to use them in a pinch though I now have an argon set up and I consider that only temporary as well. They work very well for vacuum degassing.

I use them all the time. I don’t age that long but once all the gas is gone they hold pressure very well. I’ve got probably 45 gallons under headspace eliminators right now.

@Rusty Nesmith
If you have any questions about the allinone - please contact me directly and I will go over each one - because everyone of us typically makes wine a bit different.
On the website it is quoted =
The Eliminator is designed primarily for the first 8 critical weeks of winemaking. From racking to racking, the Eliminator will help prevent oxidation resulting in a better quality wine. Trial testing has been successful up to 6 months with no loss of vacuum!

If it is going to be long term storage - it is best to flood the headspace (depending on how much headspace) with a heavier gas first (only if you have the resources available to you ) All these options we can talk about

This is an old post, but I’m an old guy, and haven’t been on the site in a while, so I’ve enjoyed shuffling through the posts.

My system looks more like a hospital or long term care facility. I use an aspirator pump with suction canisters in line. Powerful pump and with line tubes, I’m able to use two rooms and a closet for the process. Certainly not knocking the AIO pump system. I’ve read a huge amount of great reviews on it. But since I’m employed at a huge Med. Supply company, the supplies are available at employee discount. I don’t have a large wine cellar or laboratory like some of you, so I have to make do with longer tubes and more rooms. ;) I suppose it could be a little neater if I leave my supplies and equipment on the counters longer than the time it would have taken to put it up, my wife opens the door and crams it on a shelf.

05CD0207-72BD-4894-A6C6-FD83212257A2.jpegCA7D4EC6-0919-46FB-8692-D3241C695D92.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back