WineXpert Selection Amarone w/Skins Extended Maceration

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am starting the Passport two roads red today, will try the skins loose.

I had a rack-a-palooza weekend.

Racked the RQ French Cab yesterday and bottled this afternoon.

Racked the Suisun valley PV... need to top up.

Racked the raspberry dragonfruit - bottle in a month or two.

Racked the RQ Merlot and grabbed a taste before dosing it with Kmeta and 2 gr of tannin riche extra. It's about 10 months old and is very promising.

Racked the MV Cherie Merlot after a 9 week extended maceration. Got a taste before dosing with Kmeta , 2.5 ounces of oak cubes and 2 gr of tannin riche extra. How is it?? it is nearly indistinguishable from the RQ French Merlot @ 10 months.

With 2 EM's under my belt, I really can't give you a good reason not to do an EM with all skin kits. I agree too - dry skins can go loose, I think I'll try the wet skins in the bag next time.

Last edited:
Haven't posted in is thread in a while.

I checked my Amarone this week and am still amazed at how dark the wine is. Seriously, it's very clear, but when I do a flashlight test on the carboy, nothing comes through. No light at all.

I haven't tasted it in a while. Next racking, maybe.

Racked, dosed and put away for another 3 months. It is a much better wine than the first batch (and I really like the first SE Amarone I did). More body, deeper color and the flavors stand out like a much more mature wine.

I'm sold on EM's and it's not even in the bottle yet.
EM is my go to for all reds as well. It’s so much easier after punching down for 5 or so day to just let it sit and do it’s magic

I told myself no more kits, wait for fresh juice buckets. Then I got that email and remembered this thread and ordered one. You all are such bad influences!! :)

Sad to hear the amarone is discontinued. I started this kit mar 25, and it is really promising. Still bulk-aging, but had a sip for science yesterday.. It tasted good and complex, but a little rough on the edges (thats not bad as young as it is). Hope WE will come up with an amarone with skins in the Eclipse series.

It's still on Winexperts webpage so from where have you got that this kit has been discontinued? My latest is produced in the middle of march this year.

Back