WineXpert Selection Amarone w/Skins Extended Maceration

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Came home early from work today. We're a full week into primary fermentation. So, I went to the basement and checked in on the EM project. The temperature has dropped down to about 69* and the current SG is a touch above 1.000. The smell is good and the wine foams when stirred.

The skins no longer push 4-5" out of the wine. They're just an inch or two above now.

I think it's time to put the Amarone under an airlock and just slosh the wine daily to keep the skins wet. The ferment will slow and we'll get to the remaining 0.10 over the next week or so.

I'm surprised at the quick ferment... thought it would take a few more days to get here with chapitalization. But, I'm a happy winemaker.

Came home early from work today. We're a full week into primary fermentation. So, I went to the basement and checked in on the EM project. The temperature has dropped down to about 69* and the current SG is a touch above 1.000. The smell is good and the wine foams when stirred.

The skins no longer push 4-5" out of the wine. They're just an inch or two above now.

I think it's time to put the Amarone under an airlock and just slosh the wine daily to keep the skins wet. The ferment will slow and we'll get to the remaining 0.10 over the next week or so.

I'm surprised at the quick ferment... thought it would take a few more days to get here with chapitalization. But, I'm a happy winemaker.

Mine always ferments dry in 6-7 tops even with chapitalization. I toss an aquarium heater in to keep it at a constant temp of 78 degrees. That keeps the fermentation active.

Last edited:
Maybe Teflon tape would work if you use enough. Some of the home stores carry o-ring assortments in the plumbing section, but it would be pot luck to find the right size.

How about valve stem packing material? Usually it is graphite, but it is even available in teflon now.

shopping

310HWxxCxaL.jpg

Back from the LHBS. They did not have o-rings for sale, but he said it should have been in the box with the fermonster. He opened up another box and sure enough, it was in there.

So for about a minute, the kid stood there with an open box in his hand, trying to process what to do next.

I explained I have an Amarone going right now and just needed an o-ring.

He's still processing.

So, I ask, can you give me that o-ring and just treat it like an exchange?

He says that the distributor won't do it, and won't just send him an o-ring to put in the box. I said, "really? That's ridiculous." He responds, "yes, they're a real pain in the A$$ about that stuff."

Finally, he hands me the o-ring and I head back to the car to go grocery shopping.

Just got home... and the o-ring is about 3/8" too big for the channel where it's supposed to fit. What th'?

I think I'm going to put it in the freezer for a couple hours and see if I can get it to shrink. It doesn't seem to be making a good seal as is.

Bummer. After unfortunate situations I kinda enjoy when I gotta play Macguyver. Electrical tape can also work to seal temporary.
What kind of rubber is it? Does it melt? If it doesn’t shrink can u cut a section and melt back together??
Good luck man. Hope u get it

The o ring will fit. It is a bit big, but you just work it around with your thumbnail pushing it in and it works fine. I wouldn’t freeze it before you try again. The o rings come separately from the lids. When you buy the fermonster it’s supposed to come with a ring that you have to install. I imagine many folks have thrown it away without knowing it. But if you buy a lid separately then you have to also buy an o ring separately for it. Screwey but true, I have several.

Just ordered this kit from L P too. With New Years it won't be here till Tues/Wed, but looking forward to doing it. This will be my 4th Amarone, we do one every 2 years. Will tweek slightly as stated above, but don't think we will chapilize, ours usually comes out at 13.8 to 14% which we think is good. Will follow this thread closely. Roy

http://www.thevintageshop.ca/products/fermonster.html

Here’s a video showing how to install the o ring

It’s installed properly now and making a decent seal, I think. I just expected it to start bubbling a little. But so far, nothing. I’ll wait and see if the pressure builds up a little more overnight.

The skins continue to fizz and stack up at the top of the wine, about an inch or so above the surface. Once I get the seal worked out, I’ll check the SG again. But we’re hustling along nicely.

The sugar won’t bump the ABV too much. Mine will go from about 13.8 or so, to a little north of 15%. That’s just right for an Amarone for me. But, to each his own.

UPDATE: the seal seems to be good. Getting bubbles out of the airlock. SG is down to 1.000.

Question - can I use my brew belt on a fermonster? I'd like to kick this one home and the temp in the wine is down to ambient temp of 65*.

I'm 99% sure I can. It's recommended use includes better bottles and PET plastic carboys. But, better to ask.

Last edited:
Question - can I use my brew belt on a fermonster? I'd like to kick this one home and the temp in the wine is down to ambient temp of 65*.

I'm 99% sure I can. It's recommended use includes better bottles and PET plastic carboys. But, better to ask.

What's the rush?

What's the rush?

Not so much of a rush. But, with the cold snap we have coming and temps dropping in the carboy so quickly, I want to make sure it ferments down to 0.994 or lower. I'll keep the belt on for a day or two, check my SG, then let it be.

It was interesting to watch the ferment in a Fermonster. For most of this stage, the yeast at the bottom erupted like solar flares to the top where the skins were.

It was interesting to watch the ferment in a Fermonster. For most of this stage, the yeast at the bottom erupted like solar flares to the top where the skins were.

I love watching that when I get a starter going. Its like watching fireworks. :f1

Not so much of a rush. But, with the cold snap we have coming and temps dropping in the carboy so quickly, I want to make sure it ferments down to 0.994 or lower. I'll keep the belt on for a day or two, check my SG, then let it be.

Jim,

Use the heat belt on and off, keep checking the temp to make sure it never goes too low or too high.

I'm cooking a Sauv Blanc now and placed the bucket in front of the pellet stove to warm it up but the temp was hovering 77F which is not good for a white, so there it went off to the cold floor.

Jim,

Use the heat belt on and off, keep checking the temp to make sure it never goes too low or too high.

I'm cooking a Sauv Blanc now and placed the bucket in front of the pellet stove to warm it up but the temp was hovering 77F which is not good for a white, so there it went off to the cold floor.

Will do. After 15 hours, it's a perfect 71*. I futz around in my wine room a lot on my days off so, if it gets out of control, I'll know.

Another 10* morning.

The skins are dropping from the cap little by little. The raisins look like tiny little brains - no color to them at all. My SG is at 0.992, so we shut down the brew belt. And, other than a little sloshing, the wine will just sit and wait a while (another 5-7 weeks should do it).

The wine is a cool 64* and the release of CO2 has slowed substantially. The wine is beginning to darken as sediment falls to the bottom of the Fermonster.

My target date for racking to a clean carboy for this one is February 2rd, or possibly the 9th. That will take me out 6 or 7 weeks from the start of fermentation. I don't plan on opening the lid on this at all for the entire time (I can sniff the wine through the airlock for any bad odors, I guess).

Suggestions? Should I try to track down some CO2 to insure against oxidation?

Latest posts

Back