WineXpert Selection Amarone w/Skins Extended Maceration

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian - it looks like your winemaking protocols and mine are about the same (I add extra oak cubes at second rack, but am contemplating going to Xoakers or sticks). The only other thing I might suggest is adding some finishing tannins about 6 months before you bottle. I'm a fan of Tannin Riche Extra...

Just wondering - on a standard 6 gal batch how much Tannin Riche Extra do you add?
I've been adding Tannin Complex at the first 3 month racking and Riche Extra at the following racking. However, I think I may be going light since I don't detect that much difference after dosing. I'm generally adding 1/4 tsp to the batch. The Scott Labs dosage recommendations are geared toward larger production.

upload_2019-1-17_13-29-44.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-17_13-29-6.png
    upload_2019-1-17_13-29-6.png
    25.9 KB · Views: 16
I am not jgmann, but I have been adding 2 to 3 grams of Tannin Riche Extra to 6-gallon batches during bulk aging in a carboy.

Note that a hL is close to 26 gallons, so I just take the "g/hL" value and divide by 4.

Just wondering - on a standard 6 gal batch how much Tannin Riche Extra do you add?
I've been adding Tannin Complex at the first 3 month racking and Riche Extra at the following racking. However, I think I may be going light since I don't detect that much difference after dosing. I'm generally adding 1/4 tsp to the batch. The Scott Labs dosage recommendations are geared toward larger production.
I did 1 tsp Tannin Complex and 1 3/4 tsp Tannin Extra Riche to a Bordeaux blend and comments from our WMT judges thought it was heavy on the oak(?). I think I used a couple of ounces of cubes in a 6+ gallon batch, so not much oak at all. I'd use 1/2, taste in a few weeks, then add more if it isn't objectionable at that point. It's really hard to tell with such a young wine. When the youthful flavors die back I think the oak has a chance to come out and play.

Two things to remember with the tannin additions, 1)they clump, I add mine to about a cup of water, let sit for 15-20 minutes, then stir like a madman, then add ; 2) it takes a reasonable amount of time to make a difference in taste, as I recall, the directions say to add at least two weeks before bottling, I add then check in a month.

Thanks all! I pitched BM4X4 into my Bourbon Barrel Zin kit over the weekend. Worried about foam with this yeast, I started the kit in my 7.9 gallon bucket. Things have settled to a nice clean ferment, so tonight I'm moving it into the Fermonster for 6 weeks or so.

I just used BM4x4 in a 7.9 gal bucket and if the bucket would have been 7.8 gal I would have had a mess [emoji102]

A little over a month in on my Zin. I added the KMeta a few days ago and will let it sit for a while longer. It smelled fantastic when I opened it up.

Latest posts

Back