selecting a wine press

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hokapsig

Reaction score
Due to speaking with Doug, I now have convinced myself that I need to purchase a wine press. I am considering pressing grapes, berries (when I follow Doug to his elderberry stash) and apples. However, before purchasing, what other questions do I want to ask or need answers to? I just don't know what I don't know.

So I guess before I purchase, what are the features that are important to consider in a press and a crusher? I have been scanning Craigslist and Ebay, but do I want to purchase an older vintage press or a new press? Do I want a combination press/mulcher or are they better purchased and used separately? Can anyone elaborate on maintenance/upkeep of a press? Is there a brand I want to consider or any I want to avoid?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Size is going to be important, since it sounds like you want to do several different size batches. Too big and it won't handle smaller fruit pressing. To small and it will take forever to press out 6 gallons of grapes.

What size batches will you typically be making? If around 6-12 Id go with a #25 0fr #30 basket and personally Id get the ratchet style unless you can afford or manufacture a hydraulic type. The bladder style is for much bigger presses and gets pretty involved and screw type is harder to get proper torque on unles you have a very strong and long handled T for good leverage. If your going to be making larger batches like 50 gallons or so your looking more around a #40 or #45 basket. Remember these presses are designed to be filled to work. You really cant fill the basket 1/2 way and expect the press to work at all even with a bunch of blocks as the handle only goes so far.

Also consider the type of wine being made. Using grapes, you press the whites right away and you will fill the basket fuller. Reds ferment on the skins and seeds, so you get a lot of free run juice, sometimes 3/4 so a lot smaller basket will do. I can't see you needing more than a #25 most of the time.

At the present, I will be making up to 6 gallon batches for home/personal (home winemaking) use until I figure out what I can and can't do with the press. I am also assuming that before and after use, cleaning and sanitizing with K meta will occur. I have read about treating the wood with an FDA approved sealant and greasing the crank/wratchet with an FDA lube. I already have fruit bags for lining the basket during the press.

Can anyone recommend a brand to purchase or to stay away from?

I would go with the $25 or #30 press for your needs. You dont have to do any sanitizing of the press before or after, a simple washing is all. Yoiu will be sulfiting the must! If it gets moldy somehow then a decent washing and scrubbing maybe needed but under most conditions that shouldnt happen. As for the shaft you will need a food grade lubricant.

Back