Seems to me a real slow ferment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olusteebus

Reaction score
It is an en primeur Merlot. I started it about 16 days ago and it is still, slowly fermenting. The kit is a year and a half old. LIfe really got in my way and this is the first wine I have made in over 2 years.

It started well but at about 1 week, it just about stopped. I lowered the room temp from 73/75 to 77/74 and I think that helped. I appears to be at 1.000 now. Hopefully it will get to .99 or close.

I have another made from Alexanders concentrate and I am pretty sure it has stopped. I went through the restart process but the batch I put together would not ferment (at least as far as bubbles go) at all. The larger volume from the intial ferment was bubbling so I put the little starter in and am hoping for the best.

I am wondering if maybe they are competing with wild yeasts in this new wine room. It is a dry room. dont know what it was used for earlier.

any wild yeasst would have died once new yeast added. if not used yeast nutrient helps yeast along. I have had good luck with Fermaid-K or Fermaid-O add one gram per gallon on the first day of active fermentation. hydrating yeast at the outset with Go-Ferm also gets the yeast a good start.

Latest posts

Back