Quantcast

Seems to me a real slow ferment

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

olusteebus

Reaction score
It is an en primeur Merlot. I started it about 16 days ago and it is still, slowly fermenting. The kit is a year and a half old. LIfe really got in my way and this is the first wine I have made in over 2 years.

It started well but at about 1 week, it just about stopped. I lowered the room temp from 73/75 to 77/74 and I think that helped. I appears to be at 1.000 now. Hopefully it will get to .99 or close.

I have another made from Alexanders concentrate and I am pretty sure it has stopped. I went through the restart process but the batch I put together would not ferment (at least as far as bubbles go) at all. The larger volume from the intial ferment was bubbling so I put the little starter in and am hoping for the best.

I am wondering if maybe they are competing with wild yeasts in this new wine room. It is a dry room. dont know what it was used for earlier.

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
any wild yeasst would have died once new yeast added. if not used yeast nutrient helps yeast along. I have had good luck with Fermaid-K or Fermaid-O add one gram per gallon on the first day of active fermentation. hydrating yeast at the outset with Go-Ferm also gets the yeast a good start.

Latest posts