Seeking advice for making a blend

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First time caller, long time listener ... no, wait ....
Hello all - I just ordered two kits from Wine Lovers online. I ordered a Merlot and a Sangiovese.
I want to experiment with blending. Is there any difference in the results if you blend before fermentation or after? Thanks!

First time caller, long time listener ... no, wait ....
Hello all - I just ordered two kits from Wine Lovers online. I ordered a Merlot and a Sangiovese.
I want to experiment with blending. Is there any difference in the results if you blend before fermentation or after? Thanks!
Welcome to WMT!
Yes, there will be a difference, especially if you use different yeasts on each of the wines and then blend afterwards. If you mix the two beforehand, you’ll have to use the same yeast on the mix, unless you mix and split the batch.
My best advice is to do each separately with a good yeast for that varietal, and blend later after doing some bench trials (tasting mixes of differing proportions).

Welcome to WMT!
Yes, there will be a difference, especially if you use different yeasts on each of the wines and then blend afterwards. If you mix the two beforehand, you’ll have to use the same yeast on the mix, unless you mix and split the batch.
My best advice is to do each separately with a good yeast for that varietal, and blend later after doing some bench trials (tasting mixes of differing proportions).

Makes sense to me. I knew there were several types of yeast, just didn't know which fits what. My understanding of your reply is to make the kits, then play with blending. Sort of like a wine cocktail? I could go ahead and bottle. When I want to experiment open two (or three) bottles and mix it up. Sounds simple to me.

Welcome! You might think about reducing those kits from 6 gallons to 5. I take the cheap kits, add 5 cups of sugar dissolved in 4 cups of water, add a cup of oak chips, some extra tannin, yeast nutrient; then water to make just a tad more than 5 gallons. The idea is I can fill a 5 gallon carboy when I rack out of primary.
By reducing the water added, you get more flavor and body out of the cheap kits. Look at Joe’s Tweaking Cheap Kits thread for inspiration.
Good luck on your blends. I agree to ferment separately and blend later.

Welcome! You might think about reducing those kits from 6 gallons to 5. I take the cheap kits, add 5 cups of sugar dissolved in 4 cups of water, add a cup of oak chips, some extra tannin, yeast nutrient; then water to make just a tad more than 5 gallons. The idea is I can fill a 5 gallon carboy when I rack out of primary.
By reducing the water added, you get more flavor and body out of the cheap kits. Look at Joe’s Tweaking Cheap Kits thread for inspiration.
Good luck on your blends. I agree to ferment separately and blend later.

thank you sir -

Latest posts

Back