Sediment left on carboy just above wine level

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm in the process of making my first merlot wine from a kit. Went through primary fermentation and secondary formation nicely. After secondary fermentation was complete (SG .996), I racked back into the glass carboy but quite a bit of cloudy sediment came with it. I still went ahead and degassed and added the provided clearing agents, stablizers, etc. My concern is that there is still quite a bit of sediment left in there during the time the wine should be clearing. Also, some solids are now left on the glass at the level where the bubbles/foam were initially formed following degassing. I degassed two days ago. Should I just let it sit for the time recommended by the kit? (8-10 days) Or rerack again to get it off the sediment on the bottom and the side of the glass?

Let it be, don't rerack again. I would even go so far as to say, don't rack in 8- 10 days, wait a month or two. But then I don't bottle anything much under 12 months from yeast pitch. Rack about every three months and add 1/4 tsp of metabisulphite. But given that you are fairly new at winemaking, do what you feel comfortable with.

Back