Sediment in Isabella

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
About three weeks ago I put a couple bottles of Isabella in the wine cooler. Tonight I pulled a bottle out and it had a thin crystallized wafer on the bottom of the bottle. As I poured the last glass I dumped the wafer like object out (it almost looked like a thin layer of ice) into another glass. It quickly fell apart. It felt kind of grainy. Could this of just been sediment due to the fact I did not filter? I checked the rest of the Isabella in the wine cellar and it did not appear in those bottles, but it was in both of the bottles in the cooler. Does cooling the wine bring the sediment out, causing it to cling together? One more month and I will have that mini jet filter. Santa hid it real good so I wouldn't find it. I did not back sweeten this wine.

You hav what is called wine diamonds my friend which is actually Tartaric acid in abundance falling out of suspension. The cold is what does this and thats what cold stabilizing a wine is all about. This will not ruin your wine at all so dont worry about that. It will make your wine less acidic. To avoid this in the future let your carboy sit in temps like this for a month or 2 and you will see this layer in the bottom of the carboy and then you can rack off this and bottle.

Latest posts

Back