Sediment during bottling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John, could one rack into a primary if a carboy is not available?.............................Dizzy

Certainly, just don’t leave it in there too long, you want to avoid excessive oxygen exposure. When I first started winemaking, my 8 gallon open fermenting bucket had a spigot on the bottom. I’d rack out of the carboy into the bucket, put the bucket on the counter, attach my hose / bottling wine to the spigot, and bottle straight from there, pretty efficient and easy.

Hello everyone, sorry for the long time between replying...I appreciate all the comments and even the information DAWG posted. Not sure I'm at that stage yet, only on my 4th batch. I pretty sure I sucked in more sediment than I realized. My problem is I'm limited on time to open all the bottles to pour back into a carboy. Would leaving them in the bottles (other than have to really clean them out again, effect the taste of the wine. Just worried about losing this batch.
Again, thanks for all the advice...still so much to learn!!!!

I pretty sure I sucked in more sediment than I realized.
Again, it’s hard for anyone here to advise you without knowing how much “more than I realized” is. Can you see it in the bottle? It’s it cloudy? Maybe pour a glass from the first bottle you corked, and one from the last bottle, and post a pic or two.

I'm limited on time
That’s a problem, in general, when making wine, because time is what fixes most problems! Is it that you don’t have time because other things are more pressing, or does the wine have to be ready for some function?

Again, it’s hard for anyone here to advise you without knowing how much “more than I realized” is. Can you see it in the bottle? It’s it cloudy? Maybe pour a glass from the first bottle you corked, and one from the last bottle, and post a pic or two.

That’s a problem, in general, when making wine, because time is what fixes most problems! Is it that you don’t have time because other things are more pressing, or does the wine have to be ready for some function?

Hi KC, Time was related to other pressing matters... I did look at several bottles and saw some had sediment. Using a highpower flashlight I could see after moving the bottles a little, the wine was not clear. Here you can see it is a lot of sediment in this bottle. So I decided to pour all the bottles back into the carboy. There were a few like this and that is why I decided to poor everything back in to clear and rack it properly.

I did taste the wine and for it being young, it was very nice. Time and more Patience will make it better!!!
IMG_0652.jpg

Latest posts

Back