Quantcast

Sediment appearing after bottling clear

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

nerdjuice32

Junior
Reaction score
I recently made a batch of Dragon's Blood (or, a variation, anyway). I used the KC super kleer stuff and it worked wonderfully. It was crystal clear when I bottled it. Couldn't see any particulates at all. Now, after a little over a month has passed, I've noticed they're starting to get cloudy again and have a ridiculous amount of sediment. Extremely frustrating. I know some people wait months before bottling (and maybe this is why), but the dragons blood recipe is designed to be bottled quickly. I used pectic enzyme (I think supposed to help drop out some sediment?) and clearing agent as per instructions and it was completely clear at first. It's bizarre. And infuriating. I think instructions suggested bentonite but I didn't think that would matter switching to SuperKleer.

My mom also has the same problem. Said that her batches were clear when first bottled and now they're filled with sediment. She used kits. I didn't. We both followed instructions. Not sure what's going on. We're both fairly new to winemaking. Any ideas?

Kraffty

Reaction score
The reason people stress waiting is for just that reason. Even Dragon Blood takes a certain amount to really clear. After clearing your carboy just moving the container or maybe fussing around with the syphon tube can re-suspend some sediment. Short of micro filtering, time and caution are your best bet. You'll figure out your best timing after a while.
Mike

bkisel

Reaction score
When ready to drink it my wife pours the bottle of DB through a coffee filter, re-bottles and is good to go.

nerdjuice32

Junior
Reaction score
When ready to drink it my wife pours the bottle of DB through a coffee filter, re-bottles and is good to go.
I was thinking of doing just that. I've drank/given away all but about 10 bottles, so I suppose I should just get it over with.

Thanks for the answers, guys. I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss a step or something. Good to know it's at least a simple fix.