Secondary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric de Tejas

Junior
Reaction score
So I've racked my primary into the carboy and at first it was bubbling pretty fast. But its only been two days and the bubbling has decreased immensely. I guess what I'm asking is, what is the normal rate for the airlock to bubble in the secondary after a few days?

It depends on what the SG was when you transferred it. Check the SG now and if it's 1.00 or less then your question is answered. Don't get excited it'll be fine, just be patient.

Sacalait is correct, we can't advise without knowing the sg. Also what is the current temperature of the area and the wine? Is the wine getting cold at night and not recovereing during the day?

IMO, visual signs of fermentation are misleading at best, and generally useless.

Steve

Well... If I'm taking the hydrometer reading correctly, which I think I am, the SG is .993, but that's pretty low isn't it?? The temperature is around 72.

Eric

The fermentation is finished, just let all the sludge settle out and you're on your way.

Back