Secondary fermention

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mollie

Junior
Reaction score
Hi there. I just went into the secondary fermentation a week ago and I really want to see if it's clearing right (the carboy I'm using isn't clear). is it really bad to open your wine in secondary?

It's not a bad thing, just thief some out and put it in a clear sanitized bottle or something and see how it looks and then quickly return to carboy. Just remember that the secondary will not be giving off as much co2 as the primary, so oxidation is soon going to become a problem if not properly topped up.

Also, i am assuming you may only be a couple of weeks in, so don't expect your wine to look too clear this soon; unless you used clearing agents.

My advice is to definitely give the wine more time. It should clear. Just be patient.

Opening up the carboy and taking a portion out is fine. Keep in mind, though, that disturbing the wine is counterproductive to the clearing/settling process.

Also, if you have the urge to taste some of the wine while you have it, make sure that you top the wine off and maintain as little headspace as possible.

Also, if fermentation is complete, adding a dose of k-meta after you are finished is advised.

Latest posts

Back