WineXpert Secondary Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billaban

Reaction score
Greetings,

1st batch is fermenting. Been vigorously fermenting for 5 days and continues as I type. I'm doing a double batch of a WE Chianti kits. Instructions suggest that you start checking SG after 5 days in order to decant for secondary etc...

I have been brewing for many years and looking at how vigorously the airlock is churning out CO2 (at least for beer) there is no why primary fermentation is over.

My thinking is until the fevered pitch of fermentation starts to wain there is no reason to touch this batch.

Thoughts?

You are correct. Let it slow down and check it with a hydrometer. Some folks move to secondary around (1.010) some ferment to dry (1.000 to .990) in primary me being one .

Do what your kit says...a lot of people here move to secondary at 1.010 are 1.000...I let mine go dry .990 are better in the primary before i move.
There is many articles on fermenting, I would suggest you read some, and then kinda decide what you think is the correct way for you....
As i said..some move before its dry in the primary
some move after its dry in the primary.

Hi Billabong,

Welcome to WineMakingTalk. Like REDBOATNY stated, you are doing fine. Yes some will ferment dry in the carboy, you need to snap the lid down when you get to around 1.010 - 1.000, and add an airlock. The reason for this is to prevent oxidation from setting in. Others will transfer to carboy around those readings. My suggestion is to do what the kit instructions tell you.

Mistaken Identity

Hi Billabong,

That (Billabong) must be someone else.:)

FWIW - I am doing primary ferm in one of the 13g carboys that I have....with an airlock. Oxidation should not be an issue.

I'll transfer to another 13g for secondary, and again before topping up for bulk aging for TBD months.

Transferring for secondary. See attached. All in One Pump worked like a champ. Transferred 12 gallons in something between 5 and 10 minutes.
Those are 13 gallon carboys...one is inside the insulated plywood enclosure. I built two bases and just transferred the upper part of the enclosure and the lid once the transfer was completed. Used the third 13g carboy to draw some boiling water thru the system to clean it all out after completing the transfer. Primary was 7 days @ 71/72 degrees.

Second pic is post transfer with the fermwrap and Johnson sensor setup. Wires secured and the enclosure goes on. Setpoint temp was back in about 30 minutes. Ambient temp in unfinished basement is around 50 degrees. All things considered the setup has worked better than expected.

IMG_6050.jpg

IMG_6052.jpg

Racked this batch a week or so ago. We were surprised at how much better it tasted than just a couple months ago. Hopefully on track for bottling in the fall and open a few for the holidays.

Sweet little setup. And your 50F basement will be nice for aging your wines.

Racked this again last week. Appears to have cleared very well and we did a simple taste test against a couple commercial 2011 vintages, i.e., a Gabbiano and a Ruffino Classico. The GF was able to do it as a blind test and picked our 7 month old basement special over the commercials. I concurred. Going to give this batch another couple months and then bottle.

Latest posts

Back