secondary fermentation temperature

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

del torchio

Junior
Reaction score
O no i have lost my way!
My shiraz must has been sitting in a demijohn for 11 days now sitting at 996 SG. The temperature in my garage is still a hot 22 Celsius. Do i need to keep up this temperature? if so until when?
I have not added nay sulfites yet but I plan to do so to half the batch(20ltr)
Thank You

I think 22 C is a bit warmer than I like, but it's probably fine. Why are you only going to sulfite half the batch?? That seems unusual.

Lol. In another thread last week he explained the situation. And I kinda love it.
Family made wine since forever in the typical family “Old Style” fashion.
Now 1st batch on his own. 1/2 with standard protocol. 1/2 old style.

Setting out to prove a point to the old man.

Lol. In another thread last week he explained the situation. And I kinda love it.
Family made wine since forever in the typical family “Old Style” fashion.
Now 1st batch on his own. 1/2 with standard protocol. 1/2 old style.

Setting out to prove a point to the old man.
I must have old timers about that.

yup ajmassa is right, its sort ofa way to prove to my dad that while his way worked well for him there's other ways of doing things that could be better!
also for my own curiosity, i wanna see which wine will taste better worse in the long run, also which will endure being stored under less than optimal condition in the long run(no cold room in my house)

so should i keep it in the demijohn till say end of month and then im all clear to bottle? is this how it works
its the how long i should keep it there and how warm which im questioning myslef about
does 996 sg mean fermentation is done i.e all sugars have been converted to alchol

as always thx for the tips!

Yeah, I would say 0.996 is about done. My wines typically finish at 0.992 to 0.996. I would wait a little longer, maybe 2-3 days, to see if it goes any lower, but you are close to finished..

Latest posts

Back