Secondaries and light?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyeguy

Junior
Reaction score
Question about my location for my secondaries. The best place for my carboys to be out of the way, yet out of the basement so that they can stay warm enough is in my sunroom. Will the light affect the wine while it is still in the carboys? I know that light is not good for bottled wine, will it have the same effect before it is bottled? Should I put them somewhere else?

Some light is okay but that much may raise the temperature and cook your wine. Could you block the direct light with something.

Tee shirts as Dan suggested or a paper bag with a hole cut for the airlock. I have also used old sweaters to help keep them warm.

The UV rays that are present in sunlight might harm
your wine.
That is why the best carboys (and wine bottles) are coloured, mostly green.

When using clear carboys, indeed wrap a t-shirt around them or a dark (clean :p) garbage-bag.

Luc

Wrap a blanket or t shirt around your carboy. Be sure to not let the temperature go up too high on your wine.

Good luck!

I keep mine in the basement but maybe you don't have the room for it? The cooler temps might slow the clearing but your end result of wine might be better.

To me the sunroom would change temperature too much . Where you from Nyeguy that would be helpful to know ?

Temp changes with bigger volumes doesnt make that much a difference, thats the reason that bulk aging is typically best especially if you dont have good cellaring conditions. If you have the box the carboy came in then you have the ultimate light blocker and like said above just cut a small hole out for the airlock.

i keep mine in a sunny room, but not in a "sun room" the temp is a tad bit warmer than the rest of the house , but i cover with thick towels to keep the UV off.

I am in central WI. The sunroom is on the north side of the house so it doesn't really get "sunny". I moved them up here because the basement was getting too cold since I quit burning wood for the year down there. I will be moving them back down once summer starts around here. It is interesting though that as soon as I covered them with t-shirts, all but one of them started bubbling again! All of the airlocks had been leveled out and they are not longer, I find that very interesting.

Latest posts

Back