Second time Foam in bottle during fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjors86

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to making wine, last year I started making ciders, for my birthday I got a package with real grape juice (Bards Blends), which would be ready within 7 days. We are actually 8 days further and the fermentation is still going strong, but it's not the optimal temperature in my house, so i was expecting it to take longer.

As I only have 2 fermentation bottles witha volume of 10L and the package contained ingredients for 20L , I splitted everything.

The first 2 days the fermentation was quite extreem, I expected that so I didn't put the waterlock on it yet, but instead a special towel so CO2 could escape, but insects or dust could not get in, after the heavy fermentation (1-2 days) I put on the waterlock and all seemed fine.

2-3 days ago I noticed that 1 bottle had foam on it and the other one was clean at the surface. I'm now wondering if something went wrong with 1 of the bottles, as they should have been the same.

Same cleaning, same ingredients, same conditions.

Hope you guys can help me!

IMG_20150322_234717.jpg

IMG_20150322_234727.jpg

IMG_20150322_234733.jpg

Looks normal to me. maybe you did not get everything split exactly in 1/2

cheers

I agree, This all looks perfectly normal.

Some fermentations can last weeks. It really all depends on yeast strain, nutrients, and temperature.

To further on what Julie said, get a hydrometer. This measures the amount of sugar remaining in you must and, therefore, will give you a clear picture on where you are and how far you still have to go.

Latest posts

Back