Second Season Questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selbynina

Junior
Reaction score
Going into my second season making wine, I have a couple of questions. I need to purchase a 10gallon fermenter. Besides the brew store (expensive) are there other places to purchase large, food grade plastic buckets? Also, do I need to use a cover? When the grapes are in the fermenter, what kind of cover do I need to have over the top? Will a sheet or blanket do? One more, is my sulfite still good from last year or will I need to buy fresh? Thanks!

You can usually find 5gal buckets for the asking, check with some of the pastry shops. Instead of one 10gal bucket at $10 use two 5's for free. A clean cloth cover will work very well...forget the sealing top.

Take a good close sniff of the sulfite, if it burns your nose it's good.

Covering your fermentation vessels is a good idea. It helps to keep out unwanted fruit flies and other debris from possible getting into the wine. Sulfite from last year should be fine, I would not recommend taking a strong whif of the powder. If you stored the sulfite in a sealed container or bag you will be fine.

Latest posts

Back