Second Run Wine...... Kind of!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dom Lausic

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happy New Year Everyone!

Looking for some of your insight to help kickoff the New Year with some winewaking.

I have a 19L pail (5 gal) of frozen, lightly pressed skins from a Syrah i made in the fall. I would like to use these skins on a wine kit or pail of juice, to help enhance it. My questions however, is how many kits or pail of juice could i add to the pail of frozen skins. I was wondering if i could ferment 2 kits on this pail of skins? Or would I get the best results with just enhancing 1 kit?

And do you think i would get great results with a 16L kit? Or would i get the best results from an ultra premium 18L kit.

Looking for other's experience and insight. My OCD often leads me down the path of "overkill" and "unnecessary". But I am looking to get the best results possible.

Thx!

You could use it effectively on one or two kits, though the impact would be better on one kit. Personally, having done this many times, I’d do one kit.

If you’re trying to make the best wine possible, use the best kit possible, skins added to premium kits produce very nice results. Some of the last kits I did were MM Meglioli kits (23 L of juice) with skins added. They’re in the 3 - 4 year range now and very nice to drink.

I suggest using a premium kit for the next round. Again lightly press. Then get the cheapest kit you can find and try a third round (cheap so you aren't out much money). I bet you will love all three and will only have a handful of seeds and bits of skins left. I did a third run with a cheap Fontana Cab Sav kit (water to five gallons) on one gallon of Cab Franc skins. I had to chaptalize the kit but I was very satisfied. The second run of that batch was adding dry black currents to the Cab Franc skins - delicious! Don't toss the skins until they nearly disappear. They have a lot of life left.

Latest posts

Back