second run experience?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanMkr

Reaction score
Hi all,

No wine press available so I pressed my first run by hand and tossed the 'pressed' skins into a smaller fermenter along with some sugar, water and tartaric acid. It's bubbling away making me a second run.

Question is: how long should I leave it on the skins? Should I leave it a little longer to soak up as much as possible or just get it off the skins when the SG goes below 1?

Second run was started late Sunday. Checked the sugar on Wed. night - 10 Brix (initial was 21)

I always thought first run ment the juice that came out of the press before actually pressing, and second run ment the juice that came out of the press by pressing.

I havent tryed refermenting skins on sugar and water, my thought would be it wouldnt have much flavor. But again i havent tryed it, i tossed my skins after pressing.

I did a second run wine this year for the first time using the skins from 180lbs of very gently pressed Merlot and added the skins from 50lbs of Petit Verdot. I added 6.5 gallons of water with sugar, tartaric, etc. This fermented quickly so I left it on the skins for 36hrs after sg reading of 1.000. After racking off of the gross lees I blended it with a gallon each of Petit Verdot and Merlot press wine. The "wine" looks and smells very promising and is currently going through MLF. Ten gallons total.

I would leave it on the skins as long you feel comfortable with.

Leave it on the skins till your Hydrometer reaches 1.00 or so. You want the most contact as possible with 2nd pressing.

I hope u enjoy your fruits of hard labor

I always thought first run ment the juice that came out of the press before actually pressing, and second run ment the juice that came out of the press by pressing.

I havent tryed refermenting skins on sugar and water, my thought would be it wouldnt have much flavor. But again i havent tryed it, i tossed my skins after pressing.

I think you are thinking of the term "free run."

The stuff liberated by pressing is often called "pressed juice" or "pressed wine."

A wine made by adding water to the once-pressed pomace is "second run."

Best second run Success I've had is adding an inexpensive kit to the pressed grapes. Since the kit is already acid balanced and adjusted for sugars all you need to do is dilute the kit and start doing punch downs again. I usually will add a dose of nutrients as well, but yeast are so active in the pressed skins that fermentation takes off immediately and finishes in 3-4 days.

Im pressing tonight, so i can use this press to make another batch of wine?

I agree with Paul above ,

If making a 2nd pressing or run , u do not want to press the 1st pressings very much at all. The purpose us to have some juice and tannins left for the 2nd run and u will get much better results

I’m doing a second run cab right now. I undershot the amount of pumice, wish I started with more. Ferment has been relatively slow at 2 brix drop per day. Second runs I’ve made have been less than impressive, so I have similar expectations. But, it only cost 10 lbs of sugar and 9 gallons of water, so as others have said, why not.

Cheaters! Kinda like when I got my first pick up truck and wanted a Flo-Master but couldn't afford it. So I removed the muffler and just extended the exhaust piping.
It 'kinda' sounded like a Flo-Master. But I knew it wasn't. And technically it was illegal.
---- joking around of course. Part of me is jealous. I tossed almost 300lbs grape's worth of gently pressed skins. But all the work for wine from concentrate didn't seem worth it. Very interested to know how these turn out

I’m doing a second run cab right now. I undershot the amount of pumice, wish I started with more. Ferment has been relatively slow at 2 brix drop per day. Second runs I’ve made have been less than impressive, so I have similar expectations. But, it only cost 10 lbs of sugar and 9 gallons of water, so as others have said, why not.
Did you press the 1st pressing pretty good to get most out if it ?

I will typically purchase an extra lug when I know that I am doing a second pressing , under 10 gallon batches

Then I know I will have plenty of color and great taste

Do you think it would come out good it you put some white grape juice already fermenting into the merlot skins after you press them give them a mix and press them again and let the the juice complete fermentation as a rose?

Latest posts

Back