Second racking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueStimulator

Reaction score
So I was finally able to do my second racking after about three months in the carboys. I did notice the sediment in the bottom was crystal Like in nature. Since this is the first time making wine I'm not sure if this is what the settlement is supposed to be like. I did do a malolactic fermentation, I had some oak cubes during the three-month aging and the temperature was fairly stable in the low 50s to low 60s. The carboys were covered, air locked and not moved during the this time. What was really surprising especially to my wife was that this young wine actually tasted like wine.

The color very greatly from grape variety to grape variety but seemed a little light. Does the color tend to deepen with more aging, stay the same or does it get lighter. I plan on bottling in 6 to 9 months

Grape Varities
-Cab Sav
-Petite S
-Cab Franc
- Viognier

So I was finally able to do my second racking after about three months in the carboys. I did notice the sediment in the bottom was crystal Like in nature. Since this is the first time making wine I'm not sure if this is what the settlement is supposed to be like. I did do a malolactic fermentation, I had some oak cubes during the three-month aging and the temperature was fairly stable in the low 50s to low 60s. The carboys were covered, air locked and not moved during the this time. What was really surprising especially to my wife was that this young wine actually tasted like wine.

The color very greatly from grape variety to grape variety but seemed a little light. Does the color tend to deepen with more aging, stay the same or does it get lighter. I plan on bottling in 6 to 9 months

Grape Varities
-Cab Sav
-Petite S
-Cab Franc
- Viognier

My grape wine sediment, after the fine lees / yeast is gone, tends to be very gritty in nature, and light in color. Occasionally I've seen some fine crystalline sediment which seems to encapsulate the sediment, probably very light wine diamond deposits, as my wines are bulked in the cellar at 55.

As far as color, once the bulk of the sediment is gone and the wine clear, I've not noticed any change in color. Based upon your varieties, you should expect the PS to be inky dark, followed closely by the cab and cab franc. I have noticed a darkening after barrel aging, one of the effects of concentration.

If you want darker wine, next time around, consider trying some Lallzyme EX-V as an additive in the red wine must.....

Thank you for the info I figured it was somewhat normal as I heave seen something like the years ago in a wine barrel I took apart

Back