second pack of yeast?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wine4Me

Reaction score
I accidently added a second pack of yeast to my 5 gallons of Welch's wine today.. It was added 2 days after the first pack.. Did I ruin the batch??

Not at all but you will have a great fermentation and lots of drop out, it will ferment quicker due to all that yeast having a feeding friendsy!

TERRIFIC!! After doing two 1 gallon batches of welch's to get the sweetness I wanted, I would have been sick to have to dump 5 gallons..

Got to thinking & have another question?
When I am ready to add the sobate, do I add just the normal amount or will I need more?

You are ready to add sorbate when the wine is done fermenting and the sg is stable for 3 days in a row, but add sulfite first as sorbate added with too low a sulfite level will result in a geranium smell and flavor. You will need to add 1/2 tsp per gallon after adding the 1 campden tablet per gallon.

I just started the wine so I know I am not near ready for the sorbate.. I meant because I accidently added 2 packs of yeast do I need extra sobate went I get to that time.. Hope you understand what I am trying to say!!

You are ready to add sorbate when the wine is done fermenting and the sg is stable for 3 days in a row, but add sulfite first as sorbate added with too low a sulfite level will result in a geranium smell and flavor. You will need to add 1/2 tsp per gallon after adding the 1 campden tablet per gallon.

doesn't the geranium smell and taste come from adding sorbate to a wine that has an active malolactic fermenation going?

You will not need to add anymore yeast because of the added yeast. Racer, Ive never hears that but it very well could be, can anyony comment on that?

doesn't the geranium smell and taste come from adding sorbate to a wine that has an active malolactic fermenation going?

No it does not.

Sorbate is used to prevent yeast multiplying.
But sorbate does not act on bacteria

So you need to add sulphite to stop bacteria, and
sorbate to prevent yeast from multiplying.

Malolactic bacteria may eat sugar and then cause the geranium smell. Sulphite kills the bacteria.

Luc

Looks valid to me, I knew there was a reason why sorbate should never be added without silfite and now I know thw reason, because sulfite is used to kill malolactic bacteria. thanks for that Racer.

I'm pretty sure Racer's correct on this one... I don't have it in front of me right now, but I'm pretty sure Daniel Pambianchi's book "Techniques in Home Winemaking" lays out the same info regarding potassium sorbate as the Winemaker magazine states.

Back